- advertisement -

Teenage girls, T1 diabetes and birth control pills, anyone have input?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by liasmommy2000, Aug 12, 2014.

1. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

DD is 14. She started her periods not quite to years ago. At first she didn't have too many problems but for the last year she has had horrible cramps. In bed, crying, throwing up on occasion etc. This lasts one to two days. She also feels somewhat miserable with nausea and mild cramps a few days before. I took her to the dr a few months ago and we decided to try Naproxen (prescription Aleve). It helps take the edge off but that's about it. The dr said if that didn't work, we'd try birth control (I have no moral objections to that, so that's not a concern). I had the same issue as a teen and when I started on bc pills (for actual bc) the difference was like night and day.

Has anyone's daughter used birth control pills and if so how did it effect blood sugar control? Any input is appreciated.

2. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

I don't know about the pill and T1but with those symptoms I'd look into an OTC progesterone cream. If you google estrogen dominance, you will find a lot on it.

3. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

Mine takes birth control to help with mood swings. The hormone mood swings do affect her blood sugars, which of course make her even more emotional. She was just a mess.

She's been on them a couple of years now and no effects on control. She does still have some swings around her period but it's not as bad as before.

4. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

The effects on BG will depend on the contents of the pill. My dd was on a very low dose estrogen bc pill for almost a year. Her BGs became progressively more out of control until we stopped the pill.

5. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I have been on birth control pills basically consistently from the age of 16 (I think I started them about 4 months after my first period) and never had any issues related to them and BG control. I actually went through a phase where I skipped the "off week" to avoid having a period at all and had no issues related to that either.

I feel like you would want one that is monophasic so it has the same dose of hormones each day rather than varying throughout the month to try to achieve as much consistency in insulin resistance/sensitivity as you can. I have only ever taken them for actual birth control though so I just took whatever was prescribed to me (I have been taking reclipsen for at least the past 2 years).

6. skimom

skimom Approved members

It has helped my daughter's numbers and has regulated things so that things are more predictable.
    As far as pre menstrual pain, you might want to look into Ponstan -made a huge difference to me.

7. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Thank you for the replies and suggestions. Sounds like it causes problems for some but not others. I will call and speak to the endo's office before we see the pediatrician. However her pediatrician also has type 1 so she has a better than normal understanding of such things also.