- advertisement -

Teenage driving...

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Heather(CA), Sep 16, 2009.

?

If your child didn't feel ready to drive, what would you do??

1. I would get the permit, then work with them until they were ready for their license.

14 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. I would let the whole subject drop.

20 vote(s)
    47.6%
  3. I wold push them to get the driving thing done, they have to grow up sometime...

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  4. I have no idea, my child couldn't wait to drive

7 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

My 15 year old son took driver's ed, but he's not in much of a hurry to get his permit or his license. And I am pleased as punch about that! He's going to be a great driver, I think, but he needs to be ready to do it. I'm also pretty happy, really, that we can meet most of his transportation needs, so there is no pressing need for him to drive.

When I was growing up, my dad had sole custody of my younger brother and I, and Dad worked six days a week, 12 hour days. There was no one to take me anywhere! I couldn't wait to get my license, and he couldn't wait for me to get it! I actually didn't pass the driving portion of the license test the first time - did a "rolling stop," and Dad lost a whole day's work for my testing day. That was a most miserable day :-(.

When he bought me a car, I asked him to buy me a stick shift, because I knew I'd learn to drive it if that's the car I had. My now-husband taught me to drive it! Good skill to have...I'm thinking about buying my kids, when they are ready, a 5 speed as well, just so they learn how to drive one.

2. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I have vivid memories of dh (then my b-friend) teaching me to drive his stick one night on our dinner break at work...in a parking garage.

♪♪memories♪♪

3. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I'd let it drop. I took driver's ed in high school, had my permit, took all the classes and road instruction. Then I never took the test. We have decent public transportation though, and it's a PITA to drive in Boston anyway.

I didn't get my license until I was 25, and I had to retake the road instruction because I hadn't driven in so long. I was in a bright yellow car with high school kids. After that, I still didn't drive. I just didn't want to. I didn't get a car until I was 28, and driving it home from the dealer was the first real time I'd driven since getting my license 3 years earlier (my father let me drive his once when I was thinking about buying a car, and I hated every second of it because I sucked so bad).

I'm 30 now. I'm actually glad I waited because my judgment is so much better than it would have been 13 or 14 years ago, and I got tons of "experience" from seeing how my chauffeur...I mean my father handled traffic.

4. TerpSteph

TerpSteph Approved members

My son was happy to drive, but we made sure he had plenty of practice on all types of roads and in all kinds of weather conditions before we agreed to allow him to take the test. He started driving in his school parking lot (there are 3 schools on the campus) with lots of room to learn how to manuever the car. From there, we progressed from lightly traveled back roads to two-lane highways to I-95. He's actually a pretty good driver and I won't lie that him having the ability to transport himself to his various school activities did lighten our load a bit.

I'd say follow your son's lead. Is there a large parking lot where you can let him get the feel for how the car handles before he has to deal with other drivers?