- advertisement -

Teaching Girl Scouts...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mommylovestosing, Apr 27, 2011.

1. mommylovestosing

mommylovestosing Approved members

Ella's Brownie Troop (2nd graders) are doing the Diabetes Awareness Patch and have asked me to lead the evening. Any suggestions or ideas?

Because it's a smaller group, do you think it would be appropriate to have them all check their blood if they want? With prior parent approval, of course...

Jenn

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

You probably don't want a guy's opinion on this but.........I wouldn't do it. I think that it could get tricky. There may be some parents that don't want their child to participate, then what? Or there may be girls who are scared and won't lance their finger. That may lead to some embarassment. It may be better to choose something that you know everyone can participate in.

Think about what you want to accomplish with the exercise. If it is diabetes awareness, maybe it is just a discussion about what a day in the life of someone with diabetes is like. Maybe it is a craft project where they do some drawings (maybe ribbons or something) with glitter, paint, etc. that they could put up in their homes windows for a while to make others aware of diabetes. Whatever you choose I am sure it will be fun. Good luck...

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  3. jules12

jules12 Approved members

I agree - I wouldn't do it. I think others have mentioned you can test pop? with your bg strips - diet vs reg? You could also do something similar with keytone strips if you have the kind that measure glucose too. Can you make a game out of counting carbs - who can figure it out the fastest, that so of thing?

4. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

I don't think too many of the girls would be keen to have their fingers poked.:eek: Plus, God forbid, can you imagine if one of them actually had high BG??:eek: Extremely unlikely, I know--but I shudder at the possibility!

My daughter is a Junior, and her troop is disbanding next year. They are having one of their final meetings as I write this. I'm bummed I didn't even know about the Diabetes Awareness patch. Would have loved to have done something with her troop.

Good luck with the meeting!

5. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

As a former girl scout leader I would concentrate on only positive things, like famous people they know who have type 1 and how they succeed. I would give a quick overview of what type 1 is, how if someone is low they need something sugary, that they need insulin, what a pump is, etc etc. Then I would move quickly on to Crystal Bowersox and/or Nick Jonas:)! how they have accomplished so much in spite of the challenges they faced in life, and make it inspiring. I would include music and video, and even share some about efforts for a cure and maybe even do a small fund raiser or share fund raising efforts experiences.

6. mommylovestosing

mommylovestosing Approved members

Thanks everyone!!

7. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

8. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We didn't do the patch, but we did do a get familiar with diabetes session when my daughter was a Daisy. I brought in supplies, told a story. I let them pass the supplies around (took out needles). We did an experiement with the meter and regular soda and sugar free. I kept it really simple.

9. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Not sure what purpose this serves to the OP's question at all, except to drive traffic to your website.

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  10. Abbysmom

Abbysmom Approved members

I have done this with teens

It was a positive experience but 2nd grade is too young. I like the coke experiment.