- advertisement -

Teacher says no to going to the restroom

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Brandi's mom, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Omo2three

Omo2three Approved members

I never heard of a permanent pass...good idea!

Did the nurse at your school send letters to her teachers? I know our guidance did that and I was given an opportunity to meet with her teachers before school started. Most are very understanding with the exception of one study hall teacher.

2. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

When I was dx'd, the nurse at the high school filled out a nurse pass that stated that I could eat and drink in class, go to the nurse as needed, and make trips to the restroom as needed. Then she laminated it. That came in handy because 5th period was "lockdown" because of lunch.

3. Deal

Deal Approved members

What do you say to your CWD when they ask to go to the washroom when you are in the car 10 minutes from home? I ask because a 10 minute window around the start and end of class (where they can't use the washroom) seems like a good policy to me.

I do see the need for occasional exceptions but I would allow the restrictions if my child's teacher informed me he was using the exception often.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  4. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

When Steven's BGs are high he has to, pardon my old saying, pi$$ like a race horse!!! Unfortunately thats often the way I know his BG is high in the morning when he wakes up. He will need to get in the bathroom straight away and Im shocked at how much urine that little body can hold!:eek:

5. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I think you read her post wrong.. the 10/10 rule refers to NOT being able to use the restroom 10minutes after class starts and 10min before class ends.. It keeps kids from leaving class early, and showing up late.

6. Deal

Deal Approved members

I did mean that I would support the "can't use the washroom" 10 by 10 policy if our school had it. If I am 10 minutes from home in the car I will tell all my kids to hold it until we get home. So I would allow the teachers to do the same thing. I support the point that constant classroom interruptions are costly to learning and am willing to be inconvenienced a little on the free reign to fill up water bottle or washroom breaks in order to support the teacher.

7. purplewowies

purplewowies Approved members

But Brandi didn't try to go when it wasn't allowed. She waited the ten minutes and then asked to go.

8. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

well, I guess I read YOUR post wrong then. ;)

9. Mom2rh

Mom2rh Approved members

I tell him not to think about waterfalls or rushing rivers.
    :D

10. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

There are times any teen female NEEDS to use the rest room for menses and cannot simply wait until it suits the rule because the need is urgent before something embarrassing occurs. Of course we teach our children not to abuse the privilege.

The 504 covered my son with diabetes, for all his needs and there was never a restriction placed on him. He was permitted to do everything he needed to do. He was responsible.

My daughter was issued a permanent pass as I saw it necessary that she be permitted to use the rest room in a responsible way, and if it was urgent, she didn't have to choose between getting in trouble or having an embarrassing situation.

(Most people with diabetes, adults included, use the bathroom more frequently (often with urgency) when blood sugar is high. It's often a sign that blood sugar is high and there's a need to check.)

11. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

I ask if my child, or any other passengers who say they need to "go", can hold it for 10 minutes, and if not, I respectfully find the nearest place with a public bathroom.

12. JenniferM

JenniferM Approved members

I know that my DS would not be able to hold it for 10 minutes. When he needs to go it is a matter of a minute. I also have it that at school he can go at any time and the teachers are aware of this as well. It is also in his 504 Plan.

Jennifer

13. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Sometimes you just have to go!!! Haven't you ever just had to go? Like you were going to make a mess if you didn't go right now. You start to feel a rumbling in your tummy and you know ypu've got one minute to get to a bathroom. Who should tell someone they should have better bowel control? If you can wait, great, if not, go.

A child of any age, should be asked, Can you wait 10 minutes? If not they should go. And if a teacher says no, they should politely say, I'm afraid I can't wait, then get up and leave.

dd is only 8. Last year in 2nd grade she was in the hall on the way to the nurse with half a juice box that she didn't finish. a teacher or another adult said to her, You can't have that in the hall. So she started throwing it out instead of bringing to the nurse, as if she'd finished it. When I found out, I tild her that if anybody says anything to her, she should just say, "it's ok, I'm allowed." Then just go on about her business. She can't not follw my or the nurses instructions b/c some other adult is imposing rules on a kid that is exempt from them. This will come up often, when lunchroom attendents or other ppl think an insulin pump is a game or cell phone, or when your kid is eating int he hall because she's low and needs to eat a granola bar before heading into class. We must teach our kids to respectfully advocate for themselves.