- advertisement -

Tape for Dexcom

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sage68, Nov 15, 2010.

1. sage68

sage68 Approved members

My YDD is 21 months old and we have been using her arm for Dexcom. Problem is that she has begun picking at it which has been pulling them up, and actually pulled one completely off yesterday. I decided to try her bum this time, but of course doing that causes the whole "diaper issue". I have covered it with IV3000 but have to change that at almost every diaper change due to her being a super soaker, causing the IV3000 to pull up. We also run into the poop issue of a sensor being there. I really like it on her arm but she is constantly telling me it hurts, so she picks and rubs at it, which she isn't doing when it is on her bum. I have tried skintac on her arm, tried putting IV3000 over it on her arm, or tried putting nothiing on it, thinking maybe the extra measures i was doing was causing her to itch and it did nothing. Do you hqve any it her suggestions, either for her arm or for a more waterproof solution for her bum?

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Cut the Tube part off of a double or triple roll sock and put it over her sensor on the arm, give that a try. she could stick some stickers on the sock too.
    I have some tape on order called Cover-roll and Hypafix but have not used them yet but have herad good things.

Have not done bum sites.

3. sage68

sage68 Approved members

Thank you! I will try that. It's just so hard with a LO. My 4 year old does fine with the arm sites. I have been wondering about hypafix as well. P

4. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

You could try leg sites--thighs. Or even belly sites. Or put a wrapping over the site--like a ace bandage but cute. I think there's something someone recommended called vetwrap--the human equivalent costs much more. But if it actually hurts then I'd try another site rather than just cover it up.

5. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Does her skin look okay after you remove the Dexcom site? Itching and pain could also be from an allergic reaction. If she is red underneath, then that might be something to look into.

6. sage68

sage68 Approved members

The last site she had was red looking but it was the first time and i think that was more from her pulling at it. She hasn't complained of it on her bum at all. I'm thinking it was a fluke but she is pretty persistent at pulling on it. She doesn't give it a 2nd thought when it is on her bum. She is pretty skinny though so it is possible maybe she doesn't have enough fat on her arms to comfortably wear it there. Her bum is where her infusion sites are also and she doesn't complain about that. I just need more real estate on her and not sure what to do. Maybe try her thighs? I don't know, I'm at at a loss.

7. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

We use OpSite Flexfix over sites and Dexcom.

8. sage68

sage68 Approved members

Brenda- do you put it over the transmitter as well or just the sensor adhesive?

9. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We use the MM CGM, but we have found Opsite to be the best tape, both for holding power, and to keep water out.

10. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

We cut it into 4 strips and put it over all four sides of the adhesive/skin. Not on the transmitter. We put skin tac down too. Opsite Flexfix comes in a roll and you cut to size.