- advertisement -

Taming the D beast during summer - How do you do it?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mommy For Life, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

It has been over a month since DD got out of school. Summer vacation is in full swing! Traveling, day camps, overnight camps, and the lazy days of summer have made for some wonky numbers with no discernible patterns. How do you handle making changes to your CWD pump settings or MDI regime when there isn't any consistency to summer life?

2. roo'smom

roo'smom Approved members

Honestly, we just react, instead of being proactive. It's frustrating as heck, but that's all that I've come up with so far :frown: Also, if your 11 year old dd is the same as mine, she may be entering the lovely world of puberty, in which case I'm finding all bets are off. So, the combo of a lax routine and puberty has been kicking our butts lately. Wish I had some sage words of wisdom, having been at this for 8 years, but I'm at a loss, and will be following this to see if someone else has the answer… Just wanted you to know you're not alone!!

3. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Honestly, I've been wondering the same thing. I've wanted a good solid basal test before sending her off to camp, but there are just too many activities happening. Right now, though, she informed me that we're basal testing because she's been engrossed in projects and didn't eat when she got up. G4 is temporarily lost & silent somewhere, so I hope it's showing a nice steady graph!

To those of who just entering the puberty nightmare: we're seeing improvement here. Still not consistent patterns but not the intense insanity it was for a while. Hang on. It's not forever, even though it seems like it. I'm still looking forward to the calm at 18 the endo tells us about.

4. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

And I thought all of these ups and downs were completely due to the fact that we are still making setting and dosage adjustments with my daughter's new pump! I wish we could have started pumping while my daughter was following the semi-regular routine that school provided. There's no schedule or pattern during these summer days, so I feel like we're flying by the seat of our pants with changing this for swimming and that for staying up almost all night at a sleepover, etc. I'm exhausted! But not my daughter. Oh, to have the energy level of a pre-teen...

5. Lightly Salted

Lightly Salted Approved members

I have decided that I hate summertime diabetes way more than any other time. Grump. We seem to alternate between extremely lazy days when it's too hot for anything, or extremely active days, and it's crazy for patterns. Tons of persistent lows, though, this week - for 6 hours last night. I dug into all my books today, and made lots of adjustments. Basal down 25%, I:c and correction factored adjusted, according to new (much lower) TDD. Raised daytime BG target and Dex low alarm slightly. And maybe that will work (for another week or two!). This is our second summer, but the first with pump and Dex, and it all feels new again; glad I'm not alone!

6. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

Good to hear I'm not the only one making changes on the whim. My head is spinning between the crazy days of summer and the lovely joyful time of puberty. :wink:

I attempted to basal test before DD headed off to D camp, but it was pointless. Her numbers are not consistent during the day and the camp runs temp basals all day long and knocks off carbs before the kids head off to major physical activities. I am not going to bother making changes to the pump settings based on camp numbers. Calm at 18?? I am not sure I can hold my breath for that long!

I can only imagine the grief and frustration involved in adjusting to pumping and the glorious days of summer! Yikes! Hope things calm down sooner than later!

A few weeks ago, just before DD went to an overnight water adventure camp, I made a bunch of pump changes including a 25% basal reduction. I was prepared to go back to the settings prior to camp, but DD had other camps she was going to so I left it as is. I'm hoping this week to get her back on track. Next week OF COURSE we have an endo appt so it's murphy's law her numbers are off. It never fails that we see the endo after we've been dealing with wonky numbers.

I guess the bottom line of surviving summer with the D beast is to wing it! I remember the first summer post dx I decided that logging #s, carbs and insulin dosages were just not going to happen if I wanted to stay sane!!

happy summer!

7. shannong

shannong Approved members

I agree, summertime is crazy time, diabetes wise. It is also the time of year that my son is the most carefree and happy. We spend a lot of time at the cottage which means lots of activity and water time. We disconnect the pump when he is swimming, for sometimes up to 3 hours. I'm not sure why, but his numbers are usually close to perfect during these times. However, I have found that the minute activity stops, he needs a large bolus or he starts going high almost immediately. Also, he needs to have the bolus working for up to an hour before eating. (It's kind of similar to having breakfast). Anyway this seems to work for us - reduced temp basal or completely off during activity, but big bolus when activity stops and especially when he eats again.

8. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Usually summer means the best numbers for us, even with the pump being taken off for hours at a time, yet this summer is kicking my butt. She is changing before my eyes and puberty is not even on the radar yet but dealing with an increase in weight that I have never seen! she has been my agin a pound here and there between visits, this visit she gained 4lbs and broke the 60lb mark.

9. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

Unbelievable highs over here this summer (with some lows too just to throw me off). I have been raising basal, modifying I:C - it's nuts. I checked her TDD on June 1 it was 50 units a day. On June 27th it was 70. I blame puberty more than anything.

10. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

We started the summer with a flurry of lows, and I thought ok here we go, feed the number, back off overnight basal. NOPE, did that and right before heading into a 4 day volleyball camp which she has never done before and I was kicking myself, had to get even more aggressive than what I had her setting at, and even though the camp is over and we have been pretty relaxed lately, her numbers are still higher.

I do wonder if the much hotter temps here are a bit to blame?

11. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

I was feeling just a little relieved to see we're not the only ones with smoother numbers in summer. :/ Winter months are a constant battle for us, & her A1c has always shown it.

We've been told things start to settle down a little hormone-wise at 15 or 16. I looked forward to her birthday last year & waited...& waited. Her 16th birthday was last weekend. We started reducing doses across the board about 2 months ago, & we're still reducing. I thought it was our usual run of summer numbers. Now I'm not so sure. We haven't seen so many days in range since the honeymoon ended, & certainly not since PCOS joined the party. Maybe it's just the D gods smiling on us for a change, or hitting the 5 yr mark since dx. Whatever it is, I'm grateful.

12. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

My kiddo has been in the backyard pool, kicking soccer balls around, playing video games....and we have been fending off lows most of the summer. He drops fast but we are getting used to that little trick.

We have not been making any changes (MDI). Next week he has soccer camp (all day, 8 hours, for 5 days), and the recommendation from the nurse practitioner was to drop his Lantus 2 units during that week. So we will see how that goes.

In an unrelated event, the Dex said 185 a few minutes ago, but he was actually 130. That does not happen that often, but it did happen tonight.

Only the shadow knows!

13. Lightly Salted

Lightly Salted Approved members

Oh, OF COURSE! We are switching to a new endo (insurance change), and of course our first appt will be at the end of this crazy summer!