- advertisement -

Talk to me about Disney with Diabetes

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sarahconnormom, Jan 6, 2009.

1. sarahconnormom

sarahconnormom Approved members

I am so excited! We are tentatively planning a trip to Disneyworld in June. We still have a couple of things to work out before we can make reservations.

If we go we will be staying 9 nights/10 days. Who has been to Disney since dx? Are they pretty accomodating?
    We are looking at staying at either the Port Orleans or the Caribbean Beach Resort.

What about flying with insulin, infusion sets, lancets, and needles? Do I need to get anything from the doctor? Can we carry all our diabetes supplies in our carry-on bag?

2. diamondback688

diamondback688 Approved members

3. sarahconnormom

Thanks Ryan. I'll definitely check it out.

4. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I think its pretty easy EXCEPT for the fact that they don't publish carb counts. But what I did was pull the menus for each place we were going to eat (from http://allears.net) and then do some research with Calorie King and the few carb counts that DWD had and put together a spreadsheet of carb counts for the trip. It was pretty close in most cases

I packed all supplies in carry on and I had shipped a box ahead with a backup set of supplies and a couple packs of juice boxes. I've never had a problem going through security, even with 2-3 juice boxes - I just tell them they are for medical purposes. The worst is that Emma's pump sets off the metal detectors so she has to be wanded and patted down.

5. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

The PassPorter guidebooks include one for vacationing at Disney with special needs -- PassPorter's Open Mouse guidebook. It's actually a joint venture between Jennifer and Dave Marx of the PassPorter guides and Deb Wills of AllEarsNet.com.

There is also a great discussion board (like this one!) for fans of the PassPorter guidebooks and Disney World -- if you've been scared off by any other Disney boards, come check out the PassPorter Community...it is known for being very friendly and welcoming. There is a forum on the board for traveling with special needs. The folks there are very knowledgeable and helpful.

I'm actually a guide/moderator on the PassPorter boards and have contacts with lots of moms and dads who've got great info -- I'd be more than happy to help. One mom/friend has a daughter with severe food allergies. She's helping me with carb counts because I'll be traveling with my newly diagnosed son in about a month and a half.

Additionally, know that you can ask to speak with any chef at the table service restaurants and they will assist you with finding a meal that works for you and your carb counting.

Feel free to PM me with any questions too!
    Eileen

6. wdhinn89

wdhinn89 Approved members

We go to Disney at least once yearly and they are very accomodating.

If your hotel room does not have a refridgerater, request one for medical reasons. They will also give you a sharps container if you want one. If the fridge does not have a freezer, coat check will keep your freezer pack frozen for you.

First Aid will hold your insulin for you in each park and it is also a nice clean place to do shots. We used to mix 2 insulins in 1 syringe when my son was on shots so it was much easier to store and draw insulin there.

Travelling has never been a problem for us. We carry a cooler bag that is a back pack too. We carry all our pump supplies in the top and insulin and 2 juice boxes, glucagon and glucalgel in the cooler section in a 3-1-1 bag. The rest of us (3) also carry 2 juice boxes each in our 3-1-1 bags which would make a total of 8 juice boxes for emergencies.

We carry a letter from our endo stating my son is on the pump but no one has ever asked to see it. I always tell them ahead of time, my son is a diabetic and wears an insulin pump. I am told no problem but if he beeps, they will have to use the wand. He has never set off the alarm (my husband's condoms have, but that is another story:D)

Bring your Calorie King book with you to help with those unusual carb counts (funnel cakes:p) and have a great time!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  7. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

We've never done anything special in Disney re:diabetes. We just go about our normal routine. you can usually get a free fridge in your room - just ask. You can also usually get a sharps container. otherwise, what I do in any hotel is leave a note for the cleaners saying something like "child with diabetes, no harm from any sharps" - just so they know that if they find something they don't need to freak out.

We also don't get any special passes for lines. We haven't found it necessary.

When we fly, I put all of Ian's carry on diabetes stuff in ONE bag that way when I pass it through security it's all together. I've had no trouble carrying on a small cooler bag with an ice pack to keep insulin cold, no trouble with juice boxes either. I also pack enough test strips and supplies to get us through 3 days. Everythign else I pack in the luggage, but I split it between everyone's bag - so 2 boxes of strips in my bag, 2 in dh's 2 in grandmas etc...so that if any one bag gets lost we're not out of luck.

8. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

We went in Aug 06, about eight months after diagnosis. Lia was on Lantus and Novolog at the time.

We found we didn't need a GAC. It was hot and Lia could never have walked that much in that heat and humidity without a ton of lows, so we rented a stroller. When we were just walking a short distance between attractions in the same area, she walked. But if we were walking a long distance, say across a park to get to a different area or a meal reservation she rode in the stroller. At six she was young enough to do this without feeling embarrased. Your son might be too old for that to work though.

Fast pass and planning your day really helps. Both of the resorts you mentioned have fridges in all the rooms so that's taken care of.

In the parks I wore a large fanny pack (yes, ugly but it did it's job) with a frio pack for the Novolog. I also had a meter kit with extra lancets, syringes, glucagon kit, glucose gel, glucose tabs, candy, granola bars and the Calorie King book. Lia also wore a mini fanny pack with an extra meter, candy and glucagon kit. That was in case she went on a ride or someplace with my mom or sister without me for a short time. We checked blood and did shots wherever we were when it needed done. In line, sitting on a park bench, in the restaurant etc.

I didn't take a note from the doctor for the flight. I made sure to have all the pharmacy labels for the prescription items. On the flight I made sure to have all necessary items on me in my handbag plus extras in out other carry on bags. I had NO problems on the way there. No questions etc. However the day after we arrived at Disney was the day when they started the liquid restrictions. Disney left notes in the rooms telling us about it. I did have to explain to a few people on the way back the purpose of glucose gel and the glucagon kit. But eventually they let me keep it with me.

No, Disney does not provide the carb counts which is a pitb, but I just used Calorie King with no problems.

Overall it went quite well, most of her numbers were in range, with a few minor highs and lows.

9. sarahconnormom

Great advice and tips! Thanks everyone.
    When we went to Disney in 2000 (before Connor was born) we stayed at the Port Orleans and loved it. We are really leaning towards the Port Orleans or the Port Orleans River Resort this time.
    I will definitely be taking my Calorie King with me and I plan to get a nice cooler backpack to carry supplies in. We have to carry stuff for Connor and dh so we need a nice bag that is not too bulky. Anyone know where I can find a nice backpack with a cooler compartment for a decent price?

I know we will do fastpass for a lot of the super popular rides and we will check blood sugars often due to the heat and all the walking. Everyone's tips and suggestions are really helping me compile a list of things to take and how to prepare for the trip.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  10. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

The Port Orleans Riverside resort is nice, but large with lots of extra walking.

I'd recommend the Port Orleans French Quarter resort. It's very small and intimate and there isn't a lot of walking, even to the farthest rooms at the resort. I personally like to put in some requests when booking the resort - "a room in building 4, near the food court and pool." Also, being a moderate hotel (in Disney lingo, this means that it's up from a value, but not a deluxe resort), you will have a complimentary fridge in every room. (Deluxes and moderates have fridges. At the values, you can request one and it will be free if you tell them it's "medically necessary.")

Good luck!
    Eileen

11. sarahconnormom

We stayed at the Port Orleans French Quarter last time and will likely stay there again if just the 4 of us go. We loved that hotel! If my mom goes with us (she really wants to but is figuring out the money part) we will stay at the Port Orleans Riverside because they can accomodate 5 in a regular room as long as one of them is a child under 9. They have trundles in the rooms for ages 3-9. The PO Riverside is the best rate for 5 people.

12. 2ladybugs

2ladybugs Approved members

Drink plenty of water while in the parks as well.

Flying was a breeze for us. We went to WDW in September 2007 and had no problems. Basically you can take a medical bag as an addition to the allowance that you have per person. Look at the TSA site just to make sure, but my understanding is that every passenger can have 2 bags, but a medical bag is in addition to the 2 bag limit (as long as it's not outrageously huge!). TSA was more than understanding. They took Bella aside and checked her through. They made her feel normal, not like a freak or someone who had done something wrong. You are allowed to take everything D related on board. I put all of our supplies with their labels in zip bags and clearly marked every one. I also made security aware of the items in the bag BEFORE the bag was even up to go through the scanner. I also let the flight attendants know about Bella and they were wonderful.