- advertisement -

Taking the day off-

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by Bigbluefrog, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

Tired of diabetes, checking blood sugars, writing down the numbers, checking the numbers, counting carbs, asking did you check, did you treat? sleepless nights, stress, and worry...did I do the math right? Darn A1C is coming up.

How high is it? How low is it? You must be low, if you're eating candy. (ps. I don't always ask those questions out loud, but its always on my mind.)

NOW the flip side:
    Teen- I hate diabetes, carb counting, tired of bolusing, poking my fingers, changing insets, figuring out lows and highs, parent's input, people asking questions, my pump being mistaken for a cell, all those night checks, and long doctor visits.

Teen: I want a Day off
    Mom: I want a cure

Unfortunately a day off is not going to happen until there is a cure.
    Then we hug, and try to adapt to this monster living with us, ready to battle whatever it throws at us.

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

You could give your child a "day off" by completely taking over their care for 1 day. Just a thought. :cwds:

3. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

We have done that, and it is nice to give her a break from carb counting and bolusing.
    She is not home much with school and activities, also Amb prefers not to have mom lurking around now that she is 16.

4. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Sometimes my son takes a day off from testing and thinking too much about carbs. He just boluses -- when he remembers. This usually results in a blood sugar in the upper 100s by the end of the day. Thank goodness he boluses.

Most days he tests. Now days, he always tests on the days he drives as he doesn't want to be low when driving (nor have his driving privileges takes away)