advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taking site off

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Williamsville mommy, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Williamsville mommy

Williamsville mommy Approved members

Can you tell me please, we are starting my daughter on the medtronic pump pro ably within the next couple of weeks. Does anyone recommend something to help remove the tape, I hear some horror stories on here. Some people say to use baby oil, is it that painful in your experiences?

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Not an issue here, but my daughter (12) likes to remove them herself.

3. CaitlynGrisham

CaitlynGrisham Approved members

There is a dissolving solution that you can buy (the name escapes me now) that will gently remove the adhesive from pump sites and CGMS sites. I know for a fact that it is sold on the Medtronic/Minimed website(s). My endo gave me some free samples of it, because my sites like to stick to my skin and it really hurts. They come in little pads that look like alcohol pads. It worked like a charm!

EDIT: Here's the link to get to the solution! It's called UniSolve :)
    http://my.medtronicdiabetes.com/ec_category?cid=a1PC0000000Hsv8MAC
    It's relatively cheap, too. 50 pads only cost $13.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  4. Mommy To 4

Mommy To 4 Approved members

Our first Medtronic order included Umi-Solve pads. They work well for us to remove the adhesive. We use the CGM as well and the cover for that is really hard to get off without them.

5. TheTestingMom

TheTestingMom Approved members

Is UniSolve anything like TacAway? TacAway doesn't work very well for us.

6. manda81

manda81 Approved members

We use baby oil. We wipe it all down and let it sit until it comes loose on it's own (usually about 10 mins).

7. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

If it doesn't come off, just leave it on until the bath. It doesn't hurt to leave an old site on for several hours.

8. CaitlynGrisham

CaitlynGrisham Approved members

From my understanding, it is intended to have a similar effect. I'm not sure if they have the same main ingredient or not, so I can't say with any degree of certainty if they are the exact same thing, more or less. :)

I've never tried TacAway, myself, either; thus, I can't even give a personal opinion on the comparison between the two. Sorry! :eek:

9. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

We don't use a thing, and DS never seems to care a bit. I wouldn't go all out and buy special products unless you know from past experience that you're likely to have issues. If she is uncomfortable, try a bit of baby oil or a bath (if that fits with your schedule), and if they don't work, then look for other solutions.

It's easy to drive yourself crazy doing proactive troubleshooting before starting on the pump, but at the end of the day, until you've actually got it up and running, you can't really be sure what will work and what won't.

Good luck!

10. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

It's actually good to leave the site on for an hour or two at set change especially after a basal or bolus were just delivered.

We use Uni-solve, but in a bind have used baby oil. It just takes a little longer to work loose.

Don't forget to follow up with a dab of Neosporin on the site area too.

11. minniem

minniem Approved members

I was going to say this too. We don't use anything and DS never complains about getting a site off and it doesn't bother his skin, we just peel slowly.;)

We also don't use anything but alcohol to prep sites either, we find the sites stick to my DS just fine.

I would see how she does first and then order products if needed.

Good Luck!:cwds:

12. Nevaeh's mommy

Nevaeh's mommy Approved members

We bought a bottle of uni solve off amazon. Its amazing! Just a little leave for a minute and it comes off with ease! This was a big deal to my daughter bc she hates bandaids or anything stuck on her!

13. dragonfly

dragonfly Approved members

Baby oil works.

We found out that if we don't use the extra adhesive wipes and just stick to the site itself, it isn't hard to remove then.