- advertisement -

Taking 45 minutes to eat

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Andy'sMom, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Andy'sMom

Andy'sMom Approved members

Does anyone else have an issue with how long it takes there DS or DD to eat a meal? Andy just started doing this about a month ago where he takes 45 minutes to an hour to eat his meal. Started at home and is definitely driving me crazy, but now he's started it at pre-K and this is messing up the teachers' class schedule. Not sure how to discourage this (set up a timer??) or if this is pushing his post-meal numbers up (they've been 250-300 lately at 2 hours post-shot and I don't know if our I:C ratio is off or if it's the slow eating??). Andy's 4 and half now and we're starting to see some other control-type issues. He's on Novolog for breakfast and I try to pre-bolus and then I'm stuck trying to get the food in him for an hour. I guess I could start breakfast and then give the shot 15 minutes into it?? The daytime meals are covered by NPH (given in the morning) so I'm not worried about a low there, but more concerned about how disruptive it is for his teacher. Evening meal is covered by Regular and he's better about eating that meal,usually within 30 minutes of start. Anybody else have this issue or have any ideas about fixing it?

2. dana.amp

dana.amp Approved members

If it helps any. It takes me 45 minutes to an hour to eat. And I have always been a fat eater until I got diabetes. Whenever I go to eat it takes me longer to eat because if I take my insulin before I eat, If I eat to fast it makes me feel sick so I have to eat slow.

3. MamaChrissa

MamaChrissa Approved members

Jason could win prizes for his slow eating! :rolleyes: 45 mins is common. Hes also fussy and unpredictable. As a result we only post bolus him and do a 2 hour check after the bolus. The numbers are usually OK. Funnily enough, he eats just fine at school. I think it has to do with peer pressure and recess. :cool:

4. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

In a little while he will probably rush his meal to get out and play. He isn't worried about something - sometimes they do funny things like that to stall going out to play with someone who is being bossy etc etc.. If it is any consolation - my 3 children take nearly an hour to eat - mainly due to talking. I try to think of it as being low GI.....LOL:D

5. shekov

shekov Approved members

I know this isn't going to be a popular idea but I have threatened a mid-meal injection when my dd was eating slowly in order to avoid her post meal injection. :D I KNEW that she was putting off the injection and that was the reason for the pokey eating, however.

As a former preschool teacher, my advice would be to give him a reasonable amount of time in which he is expected to finish his meal, like 30 minutes. Give him a warning 1/2 way through and with 5 minutes left then at the 30 minute mark, take his food away. If he's hungry, he'll learn to eat within the 30 minutes. He's old enough and smart enough to figure this stuff out.;)

6. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I was thinking along these lines too. But you'd have to make sure to have something quick and simple on hand to make up for the uneaten carbs at school, and the teacher would need to either be able to count the carbs, or you can provide a list of carb counts if you pack his lunch.

7. Andy'sMom

Andy'sMom Approved members

Thanks everyone for your input! Good to know I'm not alone in this issue. Our management of D is always changing, as he grows and develops new habits. We happen to have our ENDO appt. this morning, so I will ask the Dr. for any advise as well. Maybe we shouldn't pre-bolus for breakfast (was doing that to try to get better control). Maybe he starts eating and he gets the shot 30 minutes after that first bite goes in and whatever he hasn't eaten, then too bad... breakfast is over. For the school meals, it's harder because he's got NPH in him and he has to get all the carbs, but maybe that will resolve itself with peer pressure. Very frustrating, but hopefully just a phase.

8. shekov

shekov Approved members

Forgot to mention that my incredibly picky 7 year old son will eat just about anything (and quickly) if there is a reward involved - like a small piece of candy after the meal ;):p:rolleyes::eek:

9. Haleysmom2214

Haleysmom2214 Approved members

Haley was doing this also. She is now eating faster. But I think at one point she didnt want so much food, now she probley going through a growth spurt and wants to eat again. Little kids are funny and unpreditable.

10. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

I know it's a hassle, but when I can't get my kids to eat faster I try to remember that they are probably choosing the better path. We're in such a hurry, why not sit down and enjoy your meal? What's so wrong about that? Drives me nuts, since I eat in about 2 minutes flat. But I'm also 60 pounds overweight. . . . .