- advertisement -

Taken a CRUISE with D?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Abby-Dabby-Doo, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

Who out there has taken a Cruise with D? We're planning on booking a cruise in June (w/ Carnival) and I'd like some advice of those who's cruised... A Disney cruise just isn't possible with a 17 year old- too kiddish in his opinion.

Any advice on what to expect?
    Medical coverage in case of a helicopter removal (on all of us or just her)?
    How did you obtain carb counts for food?
    What or how did you store your insulin?
    Did your child go with the kids "group", if so...
    what they do
    how do they contact the parent
    the intelligence of the people who run it

Any info you could give me would be great!

2. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

All I have to say is you SUCK :p i WANNA go *cry* :p

3. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

I've never been on a cruise but a mom of a D boy Charlie's age did and I remember her being concerned about the insulin. She found a tiny refrigerator to bring with her. She said it was maybe big enough to fit something the size of a quart of ice cream. She said she found it online.

4. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I want to go on a cruise too, but I'm terrified of what if Ian got sick and needed a hospital. NOW. :(

5. MissMadisonsMom

MissMadisonsMom Approved members

We went on the Disney Cruise last summer. It was amazing, but I was absolutely terrified to be out of the country with Madison. First off, she was diagnosed AFTER we purchased the tickets, so I called and talked to a rep at Disney. We ended up purchasing the travel insurance which covered any of us should a medical emergency arise. I think it was about $150 for the 4 of us (I could be wrong on that #). Then they put her information into their system, filled out their medical 'condition' form w/ the endo's contact info and such. We boarded the ship, they had a small sharps container in the bathroom (I didn't ask for one because she was using the Pod), the room had a small refrigerator for our insulin. That was part of the room, not added on account of her diabetes. Madison often went to the kids club and every time she checked in it would flash on the screen "DIABETES" - the whole staff must have had some sort of 'appropriate response' training because the first man to check her in just said, "do you have all of your supplies, will you need help with anything, and please let any of us know if you start feeling funny because we have lots of crackers and juice if you need it" I almost cried - they really were going to take care of her and watch out for her. He later mentioned that he had Type 2 and had talked to the rest of the staff about Madison. Hurray for the amazing Kids Club Staff.

As for food, we had gotten so good at carb counting by that point we really didn't have a concern about what she was eating. Bring your calorie king book with you for guidance. If you have questions at the main dinner in the dining room, your waiter will gladly ask the chef for the ingredients of the dish. Madison mostly ate the chicken strips, pizza, sandwiches, and breakfasts. Those seem to be universal in carb counts.

We just had her carry a fanny pack when she wasn't with us, and her dad carried it when she was with us. My biggest concern was leaving her supplies by the pool when we were swimming. To add a little security we attached the fanny pack to the chair and then covered it with a towel. There was no insulin in the pack, just her pump PDM so we didn't have to worry about the heat. Madison had good numbers most of the time, except for the day we took a trip into Cabo and spent the day swimming. It was a big workout for her.

That's about all I can remember right now. I hope you have a spectacular time. That cruise was our first cruise and we will DEFINITELY do it again...maybe not Disney because it was so expensive, but we will be out on the sea again.

6. MissMadisonsMom

I forgot to mention that if there ever was an emergency or one of our kids wanted us, we wore a pager. We only got paged 1 time, from our son who wanted to go to dinner with the group and not with us :).

7. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

We went on a cruise (Royal Carribean) about a year and half ago. it was awesome!!

we told the cruiseline that Jess as D.. We had a fridge in the room for the insulin.

We guessed on carb counts, but Jess ate the same thing night after night so it was pretty easy.

She did go to the kids camp. They gave me a pager. They were not allowed to do BG testing or give insulin....but Jess could do it. She took her meter and skittles/glucose tabs with her. if she felt low or acted funny, she told them and she checked.. They agreed that if she was low they would make her eat the skittles or a tab before the paging me, otherwise, they would page me. I would just go to the nearest phone and call. The whole week, they only paged twice and I never actually had to go there as it wasnt an actual issue.

I was nervous of being out of the country but I didnt let that ruin of trip. We did have an issue that we thought we were running low on test strips. The ships dr had a person at 2 different ports look for the strips for either a one touch or aviva (and we were in St Thomas, an US virgin island) and no pharmacy had them. So make sure you triple pack everything!!!

We had a great time and D didnt stand in the way of anything.

8. Reese'sMom

Reese'sMom Approved members

Well...I don't know if anyone can top this, but we went on a Disney Cruise 3 days after Reese's type 1 dx! It was crazy. When Reese had lymphoma and was going through chemo, Make-a-Wish came to see him and he wished for a Disney Cruise. They granted it and we decided we should wait until his immune system would be stronger. So it was planned for 5 months after the end of chemo, and greatly anticipated by Reese and all of us. We went in for his last Dr. visit before the cruise to make sure he had good blood counts (how we measure his immune system) the week before the cruise. They called that afternoon and said take him straight to ER...and the rest is history.

We practically begged the Drs. in the hospital to let us go on the cruise. We were admitted to the Oncology floor and we had to get both sets of Drs. to go along with it. They did finally....and we had a great time. I won't lie and say the blood sugars were under control, they weren't but that is mostly because we hadn't figured out carb counting very well yet, and the situation was very dynamic. But, I don't regret it at all, and we all had a much-needed GREAT TIME!

9. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Was the pager because you had a child there or because of D?
    Was it extra?

10. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

Normally, they give them for parents with babies/toddlers. I asked how I could be reached and they offered the pager. It was free.It was nice knowing she was having a great time and i was only 5 mins away if she needed me.

11. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

That's my fear, but the girls say that is their dream, so I think one day we will do it. Mommy will just have to take lots of Lorazapam that trip! Maybe try a 4 day that does Key West and the Bahamas.

We were watching a show on one of the news channels about cruising last night, and the deals right now are fantastic. Especially last minute. Hubby commented that he wished we weren't going to see family on Apr. vaca because he'd do a cruise! Oh well.

12. Tori's Mom

Tori's Mom Approved members

I don't have any advice I just wanted to comment that I'm jealous!! We've done 2 cruises but before diagnosis and WITHOUT kids. :)

13. MissMadisonsMom

Every parent with a child in the Kids' club had a pager for the duration of the cruise. It was lovely and gave us a secure feeling. We didn't feel like we had to check on the kids as often (or at all:)) just knowing that they could contact us.

14. wdhinn89

wdhinn89 Approved members

I just want to give a heads up on travel insurance.

Read the fine print. Most insurances through cruise lines (Disney included) DO NOT cover Pre-existing conditions. If a helicopter evacuation is need because of D it wil NOT be covered.

We had to buy insurance from an outside company who covers pre-existing conditions and it does cost more. Insurance has to be purchased, usually, within 7 days of booking the cruise when there is a pre-existing condition. Do not listen to the travel agent. Ask for the phone number of the insurance company and call them to get the facts.

That being said. We have gone on several cruises since diagnosis and have had no problems. Childrens clubs provide beepers for parents of young children to contact you if you are needed. Just make sure Abby carries some candy and/or juice with her for lows. The counselors will not provide any emergency care or give insulin.

When you book, request a fridge for insulin and a sharps container. We were also given what ever dinner seating time we wanted by providing the medical form that most cruise companies have.

Hope this helps and ENJOY!

15. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Do you mind giving me an outside source to contact for insurance pre-exsisting conditions through PM please?

16. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We took a 7 day cruise with our two diabetic kids. We just made sure to carry all the supplies . I actually carried double just case we got stuck somewhere.

I had someone tell me no worries the ship doctor will have diabetes supplies. What a joke they had nothing... Not even insulin!

Make sure to carry a loaner pump! I took two!

17. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

Luckily my kids don't seem too interested.

On the other hand, dh and I have a 20th anniversary cruise planned for 2011. (plus he'll be just returning from "sandy places", so we'll need reconnecting time alone) So the kids will be staying home! lol. It's also my one brother's 10th anniversary and will be my littlest brother's 1st anniversary so we're all going to go together.

18. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Lanae, with 3rd party insurance you can include your airfare, any hotel at the beginning or end of your trip, car rental, etc... Put the date the time you step off your front porch to the time you return to your house and all the costs involved. That way if anything happens, you're covered during that entire time frame - or if you have to cancel. Or if you just want to cover cruise portion only you may.

You can have the insurance for the whole family or just add up the costs just for Abby. You give traveler, departure date, arrival date, destination, components (cruise, air, other), and cost of trip.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  19. momofsingingdiabetic

momofsingingdiabetic Approved members

Look at that fine print too. A lot of times if you purchase insurance within 14 days of booking, then pre-existing is covered.

I forgot to get ours when we booked our last one.... and the one we have scheduled for next April (you would think I would have learned), but I specifically talked to my TA and it was available for a decent price if I had bought it when I booked.