advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tackle Football, CGMS, Pump, and all day conditioning camps

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by BrendaK, Mar 16, 2010.

1. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Carson signed up for tackle football for the first time this year. They have a couple of weeks of all day conditioning I believe.

What do kids do with the pump and CGMS while playing football? I think we can handle disconnecting for the normal 2 hour practices and games, but I'm thinking about these 6 hour/day conditioning weeks in the summer. No way am I going to stay for 6 hours and watch the Navigator......

Any advice? How do you make up for missed basal after 2 hours when you still have 4 hours of practice left in the heat? Without going low?

2. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

I would bet that the conditioning won't be all day long. Most states do not allow that for school-based programs, and virtually no private league will. Probably he'll have a 2 hour practice in the morning, and another in the afternoon. Generally these activities are regulated by age. I could be wrong, but I bet they won't be all day conditioning activities.

In the league where I am a referee, there are 2 kids with type 1 that drink Gatorade through the game and do pretty well.

3. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

Are you BLIND ref!?!

(Just getting you ready for the season)

4. BrendaK

I should check on the conditioning hours. I've just heard reports that it's brutal..... I know there is a 3 day football camp separate from the league that is 6 hours per day.

Carson has done great with gatorade during basketball season. 26 grams keeps him steady through a 1 1/2 hour game, but then afterwards he needs ALL of his missed basal and then some.

So I know he can handle 2 hours without the pump, but not sure how to handle the other 4.....

5. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

You could go back to lantus and then just use the pump to correct when needed. We do this for Sam with the all day karate tournaments.

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Gary Scheiner recommends reconnecting every 1 to 1.5 hours and bolusing for half of the missed basal. If BG is low, you give carbs at the same time. It's obviously a YDMV thing, but it's what we do for all day swimming, for example, and it works fairly well.

ETA: Even if he is low, he WILL need some basal during that time period. Type 1s generally cannot go without insulin, even when exercise is acting to bring BG down.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  7. Daniel's Mom 1993

Daniel's Mom 1993 Approved members

Daniel had football camp last summer for 3 or 4 days, we reduced his basal during the day by probably 75% and at night by 50% (he actually spent the night there but he is in high school) and he still had lows the first night so we then changed his i/c ratios and he was good the rest of the time - he is also on the Omnipod so he did not have to remove his pump at anytime either. I think if you have to remove the pump just check every couple hours and if he is high attach to correct but I don't think you will have that if they are working pretty hard - I think you need to watch for lows more than highs. at least that is how it is for Daniel

8. MTMomma

MTMomma Approved members

Football

DS has been playing tackle for 3 years in the Little Guy Football program. He is on mutiple daily injections. A friend of his on the same team pumps. He removes his pump during any contact activties.

The practices can sometimes be long and tough yet the coaches have been great about allowing breaks. We send lots of supplies to treat lows and have him sip on sports drinks throughout. I have been impressed with the program and think both boys have done very well with D care and have had fun. (Both were also on the same basketball team this winter and that was fun too.)

I was nervous about football at first but it was something he wanted so we supported fully. As it turns out of all the sports DS plays BGs of been more level with football management has not been too difficult on the sidelines.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  9. BrendaK

That's helpful, I know he will need insulin, just not sure how much yet. I have some time before camp starts -- I'll have to make sure the sites are on his tummy so he can easily reconnect. And hope his coaches will let him take breaks to call me.