- advertisement -

T2D Mentor w/ DiaBuddies San Diego T2 1 year Managing...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by DiaBuddies_Mentor_N, Mar 13, 2009.

1. DiaBuddies_Mentor_N

DiaBuddies_Mentor_N New Member

Hi, my name is Nimitz and I have been a Type 2 Diabetic for 1 full year at the end of this month. I was diagnosed with an A1C of 13.7 with all other levels (such as cholesterol, pH, protein...etc) being extremely high throughout the boards. My primary physician recommend I be put on Insulin ASAP but I convinced her otherwise. I told her to put me on oral medication and I would do everything in my own will to change all my numbers to normal. She thought otherwise, but I prevailed and got oral medication. From that point forward I bought a bike (a Fixed Gear) and began taking Metformin, Actos, Lisinopril, Januvia, and Glipizide and checked my Glucose Levels on a daily manner. I exercised daily, changed my eating routine and changed my overall lifestyle. After my first three months I went from being diagnosed I went from an A1C of 13.7 to an A1C of 8.2 with all other levels being normal. My PCP was shocked, then another three months later went from 8.2 to 5.6 then another 3 months 5.6 to a 5.2 and now my next three months is coming up. While being diagnosed I have been on numerous panel list, been to numerous mini series and conferences, spoke to many kids and adults in groups and been an overall go getter of diabetes. I always say (and will soon tattoo this saying on me) "I own my diabetes, my diabetes does not own me." For the past 7 months I have been a representative of a nonprofit mentorship organization called, "DiaBuddies." We are a UCSD based nonprofit who deals mainly with Type 1 and Type 2 youth under the age of 21. We are affiliated with the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) and Behavioral Diabetes Institute (BDI) and we're based in San Diego. DiaBuddies is a great place for kids, teens and young adults with diabetes to be around other youths and adults with diabetes (like a big brother, big sister support group). Our main focus for DiaBuddies is Mentoring, which a young adult or adult gets paired up with a youth (mentee) with the same diabetic type and they go through an interview process where Mentors meet parents and the kids and vice versa and build a bond with them and help them by giving support through conversations or taking them out for support and what not. We also have monthly and yearly events where all our DiaBuddies can interact with other diabetics or DiaBuddies. Some of our past events include: Indoor Rock Climbing, Holiday Winter Party, Padres Baseball game and a Beach Party. Our next event is a UCSD Baseball game vs. SF state and another beach party. If DiaBuddies sounds like something you (parents or kids) would like to be a part of, please visit http://www.behavioraldiabetes.org and then click on DiaBuddies and for events please visit http://jdrfsd.org then click Outreach then DiaBuddies. We are always looking for Mentors and Mentees to be part of Diabetes. For more information please visit our website and express your interests in being a Mentor (which you would be required to go through a class free of charge to be certified) or be a Mentee or simply find out more about us. Have an awesome day! Nimitz