- advertisement -

T1D Time Travel

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by DavidN, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I just wanted to remind the OP that the road to independence is long and rife with opportunities to make small mistakes, to learn from them, and to move on.

He won't be 14 in a moment - he has time to mature, the technology may improve, but it will all happen gradually and he'll be fine. Really.;)

2. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

My mom always hoped it would be here before I was ready to have kids (I'm seventeen right now) and I don't think it will be even that fast=( It's fun to dream about this stuff, but honestly no one really knows so it's best to plan one using what you have IMO

3. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

the one touch verio IQ has a light up option that illuminates in front of the meter (so you can see your finger) http://www.onetouch.com/verio/?panel=illumination

4. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

I appreciate your long-term perspective. Sometimes a good proxy for future rate of change is past rate of change. In diabetes years, it seems 5 is just not a long time. But I'm with you ... If automatic pilot exists for my son in 10 years as we send him off to college, I'll be very happy. And since the CGM will already be in place sending me constant readings, I'm hoping by then I can also receive blood/alcohol readings for his college years. :D

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

5. Mrs Puff

Mrs Puff Approved members

They are probably optimistic because they probably don't actually know what it is like to have T1D! They might read the articles in their medical journals about tech inventions, make a mental note about it and move on. Us parents in the trenches might see the same article, circle the date on a future calendar for when this life-saving device should be available and start saving up our money! FWIW, my sons endo is great. However, any advice I might get from her comes from a medical mindset. She knows how to treat it, not live with it. If I want advice about spikes after eating pizza I am coming to this website! It does kind of get easier to deal with after a while.

6. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

I may duplicate others as I stopped reading as I agree with the most about where diabetes care will be. My only prediction there is more people will possibly travel for the care they can afford to get the best they can afford.

As for your son at 14 I am sure your son will be the wonderful excellent young man you set the standard for as you have done already. He will just have more responsibility than some other teens. He wil make mistakes and you will walk him through them just as you have up until now. He will have minimum standards of care for privileges like he did before. Just a few more. If he was failing in school I am sure you have a plan to help, if he struggles in a hobby or sport you will guide him and encourage him, and if he breaks a house rule you have consequences for him. These will all be with him and you will simple add on diabetes care the same way. If he struggles to find the strength you will help encourage him, if he fails to follow regiment you will form a plan for assisting in success, and if he breaks rules you will have consequence that will help him understand there is no choice but to comply for a happy, safe, successful life.

7. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

One thing I have learned with D, and many other things...everyone copes differently.

I think if looking to the future, and believing in new treatment ideas etc(which some may very well happen) helps...I am fully supportive of that.

I am one that can very rarely read about 'research studies' and 'possible cures'. I do believe part of my resentment is from the research study I was a part of right after diagnoses. With many good things coming from the Barbara Davis Center, one of the worst things is how quickly they jump on newly diagnosed families for new test subjects. Emotions are already high, and I think they are overly optimistic and 'hopeful' to get you signed up. I truly do believe they are misleading, and you are simply to new following the diagnoses to understand how these games work.

I do believe we will have better treatment options, and I am hopeful for that. However, when I test my BG twice to calibrate my Dexcom, and my first reading is 175, and I test again and it now says 131...I think to myself...after all these years, this is how 'accurate' they can make our BG meters? It is frustrating and disheartening.

Really though, I am protective about articles that tout a possible new cure for only one reason...my own mother. It really hurts my heart when she sends me links, and gets all excited about new 'treatment' ideas...when I know(and she knows) very little will most likely come from it. I don't like the potential let downs it does to her.

8. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Like the PP, I also do not actively search out info on potential cures or current research studies...also because I do not like to set myself up for disappointment. The only time I want to hear about something new...management tool or cure... is when it is approved and ready to go and my son could use it the next day if we wanted it. Otherwise, although it is great to be informed, you will likely ride the roller coaster of hope, frustration, and disappointment as things are delayed or do not come to fruition. This way, I think I can preserve some hope and optimism for the future and not get bitter about the things that could have been but did not work.

I know that when something worthwhile comes along, I'll read about it here! But that IS thanks to those here who do their research faithfully...so I am very grateful and indebted to those who DO keep current on what's on the horizon.:cwds: