- advertisement -

T1D Diagnosis 01/24/2014

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by rgcainmd, Feb 15, 2014.

1. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

My 11-1/2 year-old daughter, Tikva (Tiki) was diagnosed with T1D on January 24, 2014. We were quite fortunate that she didn't develop DKA before diagnosis. Two factors came into play that resulted in Tiki's early diagnosis. Firstly, I am a physician (not specializing in Endocrinology, however) and second, Tiki was bed- and wheelchair-bound after having had major orthopedic surgery on December 18, 2013 (shout out to Dennis Roy, MD, the best surgeon at Shriners Hospital in Portland, Oregon!). Because Tiki was not able to walk at the time, she depended on me and her father to bring her food and water, so I noticed early on that she was drinking ginormous amounts of water and asking for the bedside commode frequently. By the forth day or so, I told my husband that I suspected Tiki had developed T1D. He took Tiki to see her pediatrician (the wonderful Melanie Ronai, MD, at Salem Pediatric Clinic) that Friday morning. While my husband and daughter were on their way home, Dr. Ronai telephoned me to let me know that a direct admission to Doernbecher's Children's Hospital in Portland, Oregon was being arranged. During the hour-long drive to Portland, I had time to answer my daughter's questions about diabetes. I told her that I believed there was over a 50% chance that she did, indeed, have T1D, and what this meant. She handled this reasonably well, I think in part because her best girlfriend at school has three siblings with T1D, so she was familiar with some of what having diabetes involves. By hospital day two, Tiki was doing all her own injections. She only cried once, when we were being discharged and reality struck that her T1D was coming home with us.

It has been a fairly uneventful journey so far with only 3 or 4 minor lows (knock wood!). I am so proud of Tikva; she is my hero!

2. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Hello, is anyone out there?

Some kind words of welcome would be greatly appreciated by this mom who is beginning to feel overwhelmed...

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Hi. Yes, out here ;-)

Sometimes the introduction threads fall between the cracks. Don't take it personally. :cwds:

Dive right in to the main forums if you have any questions or issues you'd like to discuss. Generally more traffic there.

See you round, and welcome!

4. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. Sorry you have to be here but you will find an incredible amount of information. We also caught my daughter before she went into DKA. And like you we had the peds appointment at 9AM and were checked into Childrens Hospital by noon and in a room. So much so fast there was no time to think about anything.

You will feel overwhelmed at first. It IS overwhelming. It really helped me to have friends and others to talk to, not about T1 but anything else to give myself a break. There are a number of great books. Arming yourself with as much information as possible helps. This is a good place to get started.

Ask questions, there are no stupid questions.

Hang in there. It does get less overwhelming over time. There will still be overwhelming days here and there but it won't be every day.

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Just noticed that you cross posted this same OP in two forums. Generally, it's best not to do that as the same people read both forums and those who replied to thread #1 are wondering why their comment isn't showing when the happen upon thread #2 - it just confuses things.