- advertisement -

T1D and ADD meds

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MLH, Apr 11, 2014.

1. MLH

MLH Approved members

My daughter just started on ADD meds. I know appetite suppression is a normal side effect. I am noticing an overall significant decrease in the amount of insulin she is using. We have been battling lots of lows since we started. Anyone have any insight to this? Does Concerta raise metabolism? Or am I looking at some other issue? I appreciate your feedback!

2. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

Is Concerta a stimulant? That could explain the decrease in insulin...if stimulants act like exercise to cause lows/decreased insulin needs.

3. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

My son takes Concerta sometimes, and we noticed in the beginning when he first started taking it, we had to drop his insulin a lot. We figured it was because he wasn't stressed and worked up trying to do things correctly/completely. Because was calmer, making better choices, and moving at a more normal pace/speed, and not fighting his own thoughts to do things in the correct order.

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Well from my limited knowledge from what I have heard from parents, all non d, is that it is a "stimulant" yet their kids don't feel hungry at all. I belevive a stimulant speeds up the body' s processes, so yes a higher metabolism. Most of my experience is that they have kiddo eat a good breakfast and then give the meds. Good luck on figuring out insulin needs

5. MLH

MLH Approved members

Thank you all for your input. Yes, it is Concerta that she is on. I just did not expect such a decrease in insulin. I knew I would get answers here! Have a good day.