- advertisement -

T1d 50+ years seeking parents of children who have passed from misdiagnosis of DKA

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Betsy Ray, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Betsy Ray

Betsy Ray New Member

Hi All,
    My name is Betsy Ray I am a member on several DOC communities and have had Type I for 50+ years as well as having a daughter who is 33 and has had T1 for 16+ years.

I am seeking parents who have experienced the passing of their angels due to mis-diagnosis to bring awareness to this issue as well as an accurate portrayal of diabetes in a news segment I hope to get released in November in conjunction with a campaign for awareness.

I was a mis-diagnosed DKA baby and was fortunate to live... so was my daughter. This has been happening for 50 years or more and is 100% preventable. We can stop it and we have the ability as Mom's to change the face of diabetes forever if we unite in this effort effectively.

If you know of someone who has lost a precious child please give them my information and ask them to contact me for a story template if they are willing to assist this effort.

I have NBC News interested in 46 affiliate stations across the country but am also attempting to secure National coverage on Dateline NBC as well.

Thank you for assisting and my email is diabetesactivist@gmail.com.

xox Betsy

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Hello,
    I'm not a Mom but I was just trying to understand what you mean by death from mis-diagnosis? Are you talking about someone that has not yet been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes? And the medical professional doesn't realize that a bg of 800 is diabetes? And the person dies?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  3. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

I think she means when the child is seen by a clinician or multiple clinicians and they never test BG or dip urine for glucose/ketones and the symptoms are attributed to something else.

I think clinicians are doing a lot better with this because the rate of kids who present in DKA at dx has gone down quite a bit, but that could also relate to families having immediate access to Dr. Google and stating they suspect diabetes when they seek treatment and diagnosis.

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I don'the think you will find many parents here that have kiddos that passed before/ during diagnosis. Simply because they may come here right afterwards but not stick around for obvious reasons.

Instead I think if you asked parents here who had a child diagnosed in DKA and thier child haa lasting complications or has pasted since diagnosis.

I do feel for the 2 recent families that lost their children from the onset of T1D.