- advertisement -

T1 Son Dx'd Celiac 2 weeks ago, sister has...The Rash..

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by chocoholicsc, Mar 17, 2012.

1. chocoholicsc

chocoholicsc Approved members

Does this mean she has Celiac also...?! I made an appt with the doctor, but it's not until Tuesday. Please tell me what you think? She doesn't complain of belly problems often and as far as I can tell has no real symptoms except this blistery itchy rash which looks just like what Christopher had on his back, and since going GF is gone. Trying not to freak out!

Thanks for any help!
    Candy

PS- I posted on Celiac board also, but this one seems to have more people on.:cwds:

2. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

To me this looks a lot more like molluscum contagiosum than the dermatitis herpetiformis rash that's associated with celiac.

See how it has the indentation in the middle? That's the umbilicated look of molluscum. Have your ped take a look - molluscum is contagious in kids. It's caused by a virus. Mild cases typically resolve on their own without treatment.

The celiac rash is usually many little vesicles (like small pimples).

3. chocoholicsc

Wow, Jill, I had never heard of that rash before. I just looked it up and you're right, it does look a lot like that, especially the dimple in the center part...! This would be great news if it turns out not to be celiac!

Thank you,
    Candy

4. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

No problem. It's really classic for molluscum. I wouldn't be to worried about celiac based on the rash alone.

5. manda81

manda81 Approved members

I would just like to recommend you still test any siblings for celiac. It's a very familial disease, and while our t1 son had every symptom in the book, our older son had no symptoms, but both of them have celiac.

6. chocoholicsc

Agreed. Last night she had chicken nuggets and french fries(not GF), and an hour later was crying with a belly ache and frequent trips to bathroom. Her skin was clammy and she was very pale, poor girl. My mommy instinct is on high alert with this child that she will develop some sort of auto immune something or other in the near future I'm guessing Celiac...:( One of those times I would Love to be wrong! Both of my girls are going in to the pediatrician for their yearly check ups and I will ask them to test for it then.

7. Paula+four

Paula+four Approved members

I hope you don't have more kids with celiac but I'd ditto the suggestion to test them as well as yourself and your spouse. Our kids had no obvious symptoms so it was quite a shock to us. But in the end it has been easier that our whole house is gluten free and my diabetic child was not the only one.

8. lakevictoria

lakevictoria Approved members

Yup. That's molluscum. Both of my kids just recovered from it. It took us over 10 months for it to finally stop spreading and go away. It is EXTREMELY contagious so I would recommend keeping the wart covered with a bandaid if there's only a couple so far. We washed clothes and towels after every use and did not share! Do not touch it as you do not want to spread it with your hands. Your body needs to heal this virus from the inside out which is why it takes so long to lick it. I did use duct tape at night which seemed to dry them up a bit quicker. We finally had some of the warts frozen off my daughter which seemed to stimulate her immunity to fight them off faster. Good luck. They suck!