- advertisement -

T-slim insulin pump?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by cm4kelly, Jul 31, 2012.

1. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

i know this is not about the Tslim, but I want to try out the Solo pump!! have for years, have the darn demo pump and it still looks so nice compared to the pod!!!

http://www.solo4you.com/?page=AboutSolo&ID=9&pageType=0

The whole touch screen things gets to me.

How many of you have "butt called" someone on your phone???

UMMMM, I do not want to 'butt call" my kiddos insulin pump.

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Yes the ability to control basals from the remote would be a selling point to those that have been pumping!

3. Wendy12571

Wendy12571 Approved members

First of all the charging can take place at a computer. I am not sure of any teen who does not spend at least 15 to 20 minutes at a computer. My guess is it is probably a lot more then that time. The butt bolus thing is not possible. It requires a touch not a light one to turn it on and activate the stuff. The put this in for stuff. Personally, I like having my dexcom seperate from my pump. I also like the micro delivery of this pump system. Okay I am crawling back under my rock here.
    Wendy

4. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

So does this thing only charge on a computer? What if you're out somewhere without a computer, and your kids pump says the battery is dying. What are you supposed to do rush to find a computer just so you can charge their battery? if that's the case i don't think i'd like that feature very much either.

5. selketine

selketine Approved members

I think it uses a micro USB charger so I'm thinking there will be a "plug in the wall" option like you do an iPhone. Obviously plugging into the wall would only be convenient if you had it off. For younger kids - the rechargeable idea is not so great. A little kid tends to not want to sit in front of a computer if they think they HAVE to do it - suddenly they feel the need to run around. I think you'd have to prebolus and take it off for a bit to charge. I'm not a super fan of the recharging part.

I think it would be hard to unlock the pump accidentally (leading to the "butt bolus"). If you have an Animas pump and lock it - I don't think we've ever unlocked that accidentally - and it would be similar to unlocking this one. I think it automatically locks too.

I agree with HE that the pump is more of a lateral addition than a big leap forward. I also agree that tSlim made a big mistake by initially saying no trials and no returns (which they reversed the return part). Unless they get a lot of endo offices recommending it and a lot of people using it they will have a long road ahead. I think they are mainly competition for Animas at this point - and MM for those who have it but don't want their cgms.

I think the only advantage the other companies have integrating with Dexcom at this point is if one is faster out of the gate and has it for awhile first. If Omnipod, Animas and tSlim are all integrated with the G4 sensor - you think the cgms features or functionality will be any different with the Dex in all of these?

6. tiger7lady

tiger7lady Approved members

From their website they include the cord to charge at a computer, a usb wall charger (I'm thinking like an iPhone where they give you the little plug that the USB cord plugs into), and a car charger. If it truly lasts 7 days then I don't think the rechargeable battery is that big of a deal. Like someone else said older kids sit in front of a computer a lot more than 10-15 minutes. We already have to charge the Dexcom receiver so for something like this we would just need to get into a routine. Going to take a shower - plug in your pump, going to be in the car for the next 30 minutes - plug in your pump, sitting at the computer playing games - plug in your pump. I've had zero issues with keeping the Dexcom charged but I have had more than a couple times where we have hit 1 bar on the Ping, not known how much more time we had, and not had a lithium battery on us. I'm not saying we will switch but I'll be curious to see if they are still around when we are done with our warranty in 3 years.

7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I think Animas will integrate with Dex first. Followed by Omnipod, and years later by t-slim and Roche.

8. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We also like our CGM receiver separate. 20 minutes for my teen? More like hours and hours!
    I love the carb calculator. The Cozmo used to have that. My younger son could really use that.
    If I remember correctly Cozmo sold very well. Gary Schneier, and many other well known type 1's used the pump. Smith's Medical was having to pay a royalty to Minimed for every pump sold because they copied defaulted the bolus result into the field. Smith's decided that could not make any money paying a larger portion of each pump to another company.

9. Wendy12571

Wendy12571 Approved members

Carol,
    I was being very conservative in my estimation. I know if the kid charged it in school they could easily get the 20 minutes a day probably.
    Wendy

10. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Cozmo had a very small share of the pump market. Omnipod (the smallest of the Big3) has a much larger share and they are still not operating at a profit. I don't think Animas actually is, either. Yes, losing the patent infringement lawsuit hurt Cozmo, but they likely would not have made it anyway. Here is a pie chart that shows insulin pump market share as of 2009: http://www.mtbeurope.info/content/ft1008001.htm Cozmo was at 6%. Interestingly, Roche is number two worldwide, and virtually no one on this board has a Roche pump.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  11. selketine

selketine Approved members

The charging doesn't worry me - my kids certainly spend 20 mins a day in front a computer or sitting in one place doing something (watching a 30 min tv show would qualify).;) I probably wouldn't send a charger to school - it would get lost!