- advertisement -

t:slim G4 Approved by FDA

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mamattorney, Sep 9, 2015.

1. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

2. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

I won't consider going integrated (until the BP is commercially available) because there's always going to be a G-newer version on the horizon...

3. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

According to my rep (taken with a huge grain of salt), once the Odyssey program gains FDA approval, the integrated t:slim will be able to accept upgrades to the new Dexcom algorithms. I'm totally unimpressed with Tandem's upgrade policies thus far. 5 1/2 years ago we were waiting excitedly for any integrated pump. At this point, we're content with what we have. I'm just hoping Dexcom doesn't eventually force us into data in the cloud. I'm not a fan of limited choices.

4. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

Being able to upgrade the software of the pump would be ideal.

5. msschiel

msschiel Approved members

I was told by our tslim rep that upgrades would be available for downloading as well. Hopefully that is true.

6. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

Well, we literally just unboxed a brand new tslim about a week ago (we started pumping with insulin today!). It will be interesting to see if we get offered any upgrades, although to be honest, the only reason i would want an integrated setup at this point is that the reports would then be integrated.

7. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Congrats on the pump! FYI, if it matters to you, the tandem return policy is 30 days from the day the pump ships. So if they are not going to upgrade you for free and you do want the integrated pump you would have to send it back within 30 days of the day it shipped.

8. dianas

dianas Approved members

You can integrate all of your pump, meter, and cgms data currently if you use Diasend to upload.

9. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

Thanks for that MegNYC! You have the angles down pat !!

I will certainly check it out dianas.

10. MHoskins2179

MHoskins2179 Approved members

The original t:slim and t:flex pumps have a dormant Bluetooth chip inside.

However, this t:slim G4 combo does not. Instead, it uses the Dexcom antenna that was used to communicate with the older G4. As a result, once Project Odyssey is submitted and approved in full, there may be a way to update those original pumps to the newest software versions and even be able to communicate with Bluetooth-enabled CGM like G5. However, the t:slim G4 won't allow for that because of the older tech is has inside.

Odyssey will be submitted by year's end, as they are still discussing possiblities with FDA now.

This was communicated in today's Tandem call, as well as follow-up questions to Tandem PR folk. Details also include: It's for those 12 and older, though Tandem plans to ask the FDA for younger pediatric use (maybe ages 6 or 7) and they expect that in 2016.

As to upgrades, Tandem has revised its 30-day return policy for this new device. If you bought a t:slim or t:flex on or before Aug. 1, then you'll be able to exchange that out for a new combo device. You have until Oct. 2 to decide, Tandem says.

11. caspi

caspi Approved members

Thanks for the info, Michael. :)

12. msschiel

Since are in the process of getting a t:slim, they called today to see if we wanted the G4. I asked if the regular t:slim was going to be able to be upgraded through a software update and they said no. I am going to call my local rep just to make sure before we make our final decision. They put us on hold until we make our final decision because Byram wasn't even sure when and how many of them they were going to get. We usually stay away from newer technology until it has been out for a bit, so I think we will do the same with this and then get a CGM in the near future. We don't have Iphones anyways to use the share app or whatever it is!

13. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

We are kind of in the same boat. The pumps can't upgrade software yet because "odyssey" isn't approved by he FDA yet. Plus it sounds like (according to MHoskins, see previous post) tslim g4 won't be upgradable at all. That's a downer for me...although odyssey might be a while coming (if at all) so I'm not holding my breath for that.

When we started pump shopping in July we thought we might wait to order until the integrated tslim pump came out. We have changed our minds, and are ordering the 'regular' pump because dexcom has upgraded two times since the integrated pump was submitted to the FDA. If I'm going to be going to the trouble/expense of cgm-ing, I'd rather have the most advanced version, not stick with the older one just for integration. That's my thought process on it. (We are also in the process of getting cgm.)

My cell phone isn't fancy enough to be able to use the follow app. I have an ipad I can use to follow him, which has its limitations obviously, but he doesn't have an iPhone either. I've thought about getting him an iPod and just using share at night over wifi, and perhaps at a few other places. I haven't asked the school if they will allow him to connect to their wifi yet. Not sure they will. But he's old enough to respond to alarms (unless he ignores them) and I don't have his numbers feeding to me now and we are doing ok, so....we don't want to get him a phone just yet, so I've been looking into other options. But the cgm will still work without fancy devices, so We are going with the g5 with receiver, to keep our options open...depends how much we like the share feature.

FYI, dexcom is coming out with android apps for share, supposedly early next year....so hopefully soon share won't be tied to I-devices anymore. That will be good news for a lot of people.

Hope this helps.

14. msschiel

This is our first pump, so I think we will just stuck with the regular t:slim for now. I am not going to buy phone just to have the technology to keep up with every, as nice as that would be. We just have tracfones, so we pay for every minute or data that we use. My son does have an Ipod, but I am not sure if the school would allow it to be connected to the internet or not. We have managed for 2 years without, so we can manage a bit longer. We do have plans on upgrading our cell phones to smart phones, so if they come out with Android software, then that would be great.