- advertisement -

t-slim and sites that fall off

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lakeman, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

Sometimes a site falls off (or gets pulled off) before it is time to start a new site.

If the site falls off very early we just put on a new site and connect to the old tubing and cartridge. The result is that we might not get a full three days out of the second site before the pump runs out of insulin. If it is real close to the time that a new cartridge is due to be started then we start the new one. This results in some lost insulin.

So my question is what do you do when a site falls off somewhere in the middle of the three day period when there is a moderate amount of insulin left in the pump? Do you switch the site only then change it again soon or do you change the whole set-up and lose lots of insulin? Is there some better option?

2. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

My site changes and my cartridge refill / tubing change have nothing to do with each other. To the point that we have changed a site because its due and I swear, 4 hours later, we're refilling a cartridge and I'm chastising my daughter for not bothering to check when we were changing her site.

Sites are changed 2-3 days. We get about 6 days out of a full cartridge right now. But rarely they happen at the same time. Just change the site when it needs changing and plug old tubing into new site. When you change the cartridge, change the tubing then. Yes, that means I throw away a TON of tubing because we tend to change it half as frequent as the sites!

3. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

We do what Nancy does. I have a ziploc of tubing from site changes w/o cartridge changes where we just hook up to existing tubing. When I refill cartridge I take the tubing from the bag rather than from a new site. His new thing is to mix up colors, so maybe pink site with blue tubing clip. :)

4. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Site and cartridge changes are independent here, too. DD gets 2 1/2 days on a cartridge and changes her site every 3-4 days.

5. lmf1122

lmf1122 Approved members

We also rarely, if ever, change the site and cartridge at the same time. The site gets changed every 3 days, and the cartridge when it gets under 10 units, about ever 6-7 days.

If you are having problems with sites falling off, I would suggest using Skintac to hold the sites on better. It really helps keep them on in the hot weather and in the water.

6. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

What sites are you using? We had problems with Cleos but none with insets.

7. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

Well, sometimes we (using the mm revel) reclaim the lost insulin by either adding more insulin to the reservoir (cartridge) and reusing it, we take the insulin out of the old one with a syringe and put it into the new one.! I've seen how the tslim works, and I think you could do one of those two things.
    I can see 20-30 units be wasted, but much more than that, no way

For us, it wouldn't work well to have sites and tubing/reservoir changes be completely disconnected from one another. First, Ds would be crazy having to change something out when "he just changed it yesterday" and we would probably have sites left in way too long. He already often goes 4 days as it is, a bad habit I'm trying to help him break.

But for some people it works great, so that's fine too. :)

8. caspi

caspi Approved members

That's the beauty of a tubed pump - you're not forced to change the whole thing like we had to with the Omnipod.

9. Mimikins

Mimikins Approved members

I found it easier for me to change everything out three days after loading a new cartridge, especially since I have issues with tons of occlusion alarms if I leave anything in for longer than three days. Having to do an emergency site change only wastes less than a unit of insulin, which isn't much of an issue for me (I try to keep at least a 20 unit backup supply in my pump for if I need to reprime something or can't change my cartridge right away). I view it like there's no such thing as changing your site too many times, even if I end up only having a site in for 24 hours before it's time for me to change my cartridge.

10. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

Thanks everyone. Now that I know we can change the site and the tubing and the cartridge independently we will do that as needed.

imf1122, we don't have a lot of sites fall off it just seemed like such a waste when they do.

We do rarely have sites fall off right as they are being inserted (when removing the inserter device). Does anyone else have this?

11. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

This might have happened a few times when the pump was new. Once we got the hang of it, it hasn't been a problem. Practice fixed that issue. :)

12. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

This was one of the reasons we moved from Cleos to Contact Detach. DD had terrible luck with the Cleos sticking. We tried every trick and tip we could find but so many just peeled off wih the inserter!