- advertisement -

T 1 and accutane

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by blessed, May 27, 2008.

1. blessed

blessed Approved members

Does anyone have any experience with accutane.? We are considering that for our DS and are just concerned over the long lenghty side affects and specifically the affects it could have on his diabetes. Perhaps we are a little over cautious, but the information we were given by our dermatologist was a bit scary. Thanks for your comments ahead of time!

2. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

here's the side affects http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/isotret_ad.htm looks like it could mess with blood sugar?
    My sister and I both took that and recommend to never take it-we both suffered from severe depression while we were on it.

3. moco89

moco89 Approved members

I used to have severe acne back in the day. The doctor said I would be a candidate for accutane if I did not have the big D. Accutane messes with the uptake of glucose in the body, and therefore is not used in diabetics.

4. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Dean took accutane when he did not have diabetes - 3 years prior. It worked well. Sorry can't helped with BG levels. We had blood work done as scheduled to keep an eye on everything. He did not have any side effects (depression) from it - again he did not have diabetes at the time.

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  5. SamsMom

SamsMom Approved members

Sam was taking it and stopped a few weeks ago. The reason he stopped is because he said he was feeling "angry." Hard to describe, but my mild mannered Sam was starting to become worked up over things that never bothered him before and he was moody. Actually, very little bothers Sam so we noticed it and struggled with is this the Accutane or normal teenager behavior? Sam did ask us if he could stop taking Accutane and of course we stopped that very day. As far as I know, there were no ill effects to his BG and his cholesterol levels stayed good during the 2 months or so he was on it. It did dry his face out and he constantly had cracked and dry lips. Neither the endo nor the derm had any issue with him being diabetic and taking Accutane. He is now back to using lots of astringent for his face. I am going to make him a derm appt and try other things--i.e. oral antibiotics, topical meds, etc. It's a shame though because the Accutane was starting to work and I doubt the "backne" can be cleared up w/o it.

6. Mindy

Mindy Approved members

I had a sister that took it as a teen and never had depression/anger issues. The only side effect she had was dry skin.

As for T1 and Accutane, my son who was dx in '06, is almost done with his 4th month of Accutane, and will take it for one more. I was also very apprehensive about it, and talked to the dermatologist at length, but he eased my fears. We had tried everything, even oral antibiotics, and were at our wit's end. I wish we had done it sooner is all I can say!

We only saw a slight increase in his blood sugar, more if took on an empty stomach, but never higher than the low 200's. He just had an endo appt last Friday and his A1C was 5.5, so it did nothing in the overall scheme of things. We did increase basals just a a little during the day after the first week, but have had no big issues. The only side effect he had was a couple of bloody noses in the first month, from the dryness, and dry skin. The dryness got better in time, and he just keeps carmex with him for his dry lips. It completely cleared him up in a little over a month, and his self esteem rose tremendously. He's not had any emotional issues, but he did beforehand because he felt so bad about himself because of the acne. He had it all over face, neck, back, and chest, and now he has none.

They closely monitor while on it, and Austin has to go monthly to get a new rx, but it isn't even that costly for us, and well worth every penny. Let me know if you want to know more.

I posted these on another site as well, and he'd kill me if he ever knew, but it is amazing the difference it made and so quickly...2 pics before accutane and 2 pics just one month after starting it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  7. blessed

blessed Approved members

accutane up date

ok here's the latest. My son was looking thru pictures, and he was so unhappy with the way his skin looked that he begged for me to call for a derm appt. Luckily, there was a cancellation, and he was seen this morning at 9:45. The Dr. wanted to start him on a higher dose, but my son is wanting to keep the dose lower in hopes of less side effects. He was started on 40, and he weights 170 and is 6ft 2
    What kinds of things helped your son???? Just plain old chapstick and lotion??? The Dr. hardly spoke about it, just busy getting the paper work done and said see ya in 30 days. I guess we must have "looked" knowledgable LOL Kind of crazy if you ask me, but we are fortunate enough to read and asked lots of people (all of you on this group:) Thanks so much!
    If any one has other comments please feel free to let me know...The Good or the BAD :) K

Dayna

8. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Ya know Dean didn't have any side effects. I had read up on it extremely thoroughly, but I planted none of them in his brain. ;) I hope your son has an easy road of it and keep a keen eye on everything! Best wishes on a successful treatment! Dean uses the Cetaphil lotion on his face and alway has for any dry skin even before the Accutane treatment.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  9. blessed

blessed Approved members

thanks everyone

Here's an update....He started accutane last night and I swear it has changed his whole deminor. HE IS HAPPY and energetic again. He is FEELING BETTER. He and I both laughed and said if anything is has done the opposite of depression. He is on cloud nine and his whole presence is just beaming!
    I know I know, this is all in the beginning, but I will take happy faced kid any day. He or I never realized how much that effected his whole being! I wish we would have done it 3 years ago. Unless he starts having some major side effect, I am sold. Just for him to know that there is hope has made a huge difference. !!! Happy day oh Happy day We Love Acccutane
    I know silly silly me!

10. Mindy

Mindy Approved members

Austin started on 40mg twice daily. He takes one in the morning and one at night. He is 6' tall and 145 lbs. Sometimes it gets worse before better, so don't freak if that happens. With Austin it didn't, but they said it could. He recommended Cetaphil for the face, but Austin just used it once and then never messed with it again. It never got very severe, you could just tell he was a little dry. It was worse in the beginning. For lips he uses Carmex, and just carries one with him at all times.

Good luck to you and your son. You think he's happy now, just wait until his face starts clearing...he will be ecstatic!

11. Mindy

Mindy Approved members

Just thought I'd check and see how it is going. Are you seeing improvements yet? Did you see a slight rise in #'s like we did?

12. blessed

blessed Approved members

sorry it has been soooo long

Hey Everyone!
    Sorry for not posting for so long!!!! I have been busy doing nothing. Since school/work got out for the summer on the 18th of June, I have been trying to take it easy and regain my strength (since my cancer kinda hit me hard) but anyways, here is the update on acutane with my son C.
    He started about 33 days ago and my ONLY WISH IS that we would have done it sooner! He is doing fantastic and his self esteem has grown so much! He has not had any problems. Yes, he has had some piculilar highs, but who knows if they are from the acutane or just from being a teen who is on the go and has a crazy summer schedule???? He is not completely blemmish free yet, but it is much better and he LOVES not having to put all those creams on his face that can run off and bleach out his clothes. (he is a fussy one about his clothes) LIFE IS good with acutane.

13. Java

Java Approved members

Have you tried Pro Active? It really works for my son Do not get the Walmart Brand, it does not seem to have the same results. We love it.

14. Mindy

Mindy Approved members

I am so very glad it is going so well for him!! It did wonders for Austin's self esteem, too. I'd say by month two you will not see but maybe a blemish or two. Austin just finished up on Thursday night, and it was so worth the 5 months of 2 pills a day. It beat creams, antibiotics, etc., all to heck. I had just been thinking of you so thought I'd check on the progress. I am the same as you in my only regret not doing it sooner. It is the best!