- advertisement -

symlin

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sammysmom, Dec 27, 2007.

1. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

Well yesterday was the first day of our symlin trial and it went great. Sam only needs it for breakfast and only if the breakfast is over 20 grams. He took a 1/4 unit of symlin (small, yes I know but he is only 6 and using symlin is almost unheard of in a young child) We changed his breakfast ratio from 1:12 to 1:25 and everything worked great. No 400 blood sugar spike and no hypoglycemia. He took the symlin before he ate and the bolus after he ate. At one hour he was the mid 200's, two hours, mid 100's and three hours he was at a nice 128 (i think, somewhere around there). This is just what we wanted to happen. I am comfortable right now with the 200 spike...at least it is not 400. He does not need it at any other time in the day. I am glad that we have an endo that thinks outside the box and is willing to try new treatments!

2. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

Thats awesome.. I am glad it seems to be working for you.

Keep us updated. I may have to ask our endo about it when we go back in March.

3. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

That is great to read about. I would consider it for breakfast. Westin loves to have pancakes. How early do you give it? I am not the greatest at prebolusing. :)

4. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

Because of the way that symlin slows digestion, aren't they worried about weight loss, or Sam not gaining enough weight? We talked about symlin as a breakfast option to help with spikes, but the cons out weighed the pros at this young age.
    I hope everything works out for Sam, good luck with the trial.
    Jamie

5. sammysmom

Nope, not at all. Sam is being watched closely by his endo team and by mom! A lot of the info on symlin is based on adults. Like the endo said, the same rules do not always apply for children. There are risks with everything that parents much watch for and symlin is just another one of those. A site infection from a pump, too much weight gain from improper amounts of insulin, the long term physchological effects of a cgm......like I said, symlin is just another "thing" to add to the list.

As long as he stays on his growth "line" then everything is alright. So far, with only one shot of it, for breakfast, I am not worried at all. Now if he were to take this with every meal, than I might be a bit more worried. It's all trial and error at this point, but then again, that is how everything works, right?!

6. coni

coni Approved members

Shannon -
    What lead you to the decision to use symlin? Is Sam the only patient his age on symlin with the endo's practice? What were the endo's thoughts prior to agreeing to try symlin? I'm very curious. Thanks for any info you're willing to provide.

7. Lee

Lee Approved members

Ditto here? I think your's is the first kid I have heard of, so I am wondering about the benefits of it? Keep us posted!

8. sammysmom

Sammy was spiking to over 400, sometimes high 400's every single day with his breakfast. We could not correct that spike because it would end up in a low. He was having trouble concentrating in school due to the bg spike and he was suffering. We lowered the i:c ratio all the way to 1:12. I would prebolus by 20-30 minutes, and nothing seemed to help that spike. We took the carb ratio down further and he ended up low. I was having to set a temp basal, properly timed, to combat the spike along with the 1:12 ratio. Still it only took him to the high 300, low 400's. The endo has one teenager on symlin because of the same problem. She suggested it and we researched it together. We weighed the pros and cons and in this case, we had nothing to lose.

She prescribed the symlin and we started with a "baby" dose, I can measure 1/4 unit because I was used to doing so (sam was dx as a baby, we used to do this all the time). It seems to be working so I am happy. I have sam hooked up to his Dex right now, just to be sure I am not missing anything. We are taking the dex off tomorrow because he absolutely detests having a second site. The cgm is chatching everything I would have checked for anyways so it is kind of pointless to make him wear it for the symlin trial.

I am excited for him to go back to school while taking the symlin. I truly believe that his morning focus and concentration will improve now that he is not swimming in a body full of sugar!

9. payam7777777

payam7777777 Approved members

10. sammysmom

I have seen people with two pumps, one for insulin and one for symlin at the FFL convention. Right now he only needs it for breakfast and such a tiny dose at that.

11. sammysmom

Day three: Same results. Right now I am in love with symlin.

I think that becaue he is taking such a tiny dose, that is why we are not seeing any side effects such as the nausea. It also seems that since we have been doing this, he feels better in the mornings, not so grumpy after breakfast. I can not wait to see how this all works out with him at school.

shannon

12. Lee

Lee Approved members

That is great news! We don't have those high spikes (yet!), but I am happy that his brain will be better able to function! I know when my daughter is high, her vision is blurry and she feels blah.

13. payam7777777

payam7777777 Approved members

shannon,

i'm sooo happy for you... really.

congradulations!

i... i dont know how to say this i dont want it to look like i'm... mmm... trying to experiment on your child but if i were you i would try mixing symlin with insulin (1:10) under the supevision of the endo though.
    see: http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=937

14. sammysmom

Nope, no way. We KNOW that he only needs it for breakfast so I do not want him getting any dose of it any time else. The breakfast dose is perfect with it and the rest of the day is perfect WITHOUT it. The suggestion would be good if he were taking it all day long but breakfast is our only problem. If I were to mix it with his insulin I would have to check him constantly all day long to make sure I am not missing a low.....and well, that just would not be good. He is a six year old boy that does not want to be reminded every second of the day that he has diabetes, and that is exactly what would happen if I were constantly on the look out for a low!

Thanks for the suggestion though:D

15. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

Wow! So glad it is working! I sowant to try this with Sam. I'm not sure what she'd think about going back to an injection though. Her appetite just will not turn off after 4 pm ... it has always been that way since the D diagnosis and I am thinking it might help to try out the symlin. It may just be her growing, but since it has been like this since day one I am starting to wonder. I worry that if we don't do something soon, at some point she'll end up overweight and then we'll deal with insulin resistance. But on the other hand, I am reluctant to try it because of the possible dangerous side effects.

16. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

I'm not a child obviously, but I have tried Symlin and while it did in fact work very well, I also had a number of lows with it too.

17. sammysmom

Yes that is one of the downsides to symlin that we have to deal with. Sam is taking such a small dose that this is all trial and error. So far, no lows and this was even after a morning of heavy activity following breakfast (we went to an indoor swimming pool). We had to up his i:c ratio to 1:25 and tomorrow I am going to make it 1:30, I just want some extra "wiggle room" with his numbers.

He only gets the symlin if he eats over 20grams at breakfast and only if breakfast is within a certain time frame.

18. Budapest

Budapest Approved members

Very happy for you.

Please, keep us posted.

19. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Thanks for posting your experiences with this.

20. sammysmom

No problem. He did not take any symlin today because he was not hungry around that time and it was past his time "window" that gives us so much problem.