- advertisement -

Switching to Omnipod?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by CaitlynGrisham, Apr 7, 2013.

1. CaitlynGrisham

CaitlynGrisham Approved members

I started on an Animas pump and eventually switched to Minimed, but I'm really liking the idea of going tubeless. It's getting to the point where I can't go to my school's dining commons without getting stared at while bolusing + untangling my tubing, and I am really hating it.

How hard is it to switch from Minimed to the Omnipod? How many of you have switched and liked it? Not liked it? Etc.

2. minniem

minniem Approved members

Well, DS just switched a week and a half ago. My DS loves it. He says he feels so free going tubeless. I love it, but we had 2 failed pods the first week. Now, maybe that's just bad luck, but that part we didn't like. However, I will say my first pod change on the fly was on the bleachers at his baseball game right before his team took the field and I had the new pod on and running in less than 5 minutes. It is so simple to change the pods. He also says he feels "naked" with no pack around his waist (we used belts to hold his MM). I love that he can put them in his arms no problem. He's too skinny for his stomach and with baseball right now we are avoiding his thighs because they slide into the bases.

He LOVES them, and I don't think he'll go back anytime soon. If we have better luck without failures, I will love them too. I usually check him at night and giving a correction was awesome with the PDM. I didn't have to wake him by fishing around in his blankets looking for the pump, I could just hold the PDM near him and do everything remotely. That, I really like.

FWIW, we did the Cut the Cord program so we paid OOP for the PDM, but we are still in warranty with our MM. We were going to try them for summer, but I think he is going to want to stay with Omnipod. He really likes the freedom of it.

Good Luck with your decision!:cwds: