- advertisement -

switching to novolog

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sam1nat2, Nov 3, 2008.

1. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

We will be switching to novolog from humalog when we finish up this vial. Dr said we may notice some minor differences.

What are your experiences? Does it last longer or work faster to the point where I should switch on the weekend?

He did do a cartridge of novolog this summer when we were at the inlaws and all they had was novalog. It was the unpredictable summer, so I don't remember much (like I remember much of anything---ever!!)

Sam is still pretty sensitive to insulin, not sure if that matters.

2. wilf

wilf Approved members

It shouldn't be an issue - generally switches are done at 1:1 ratios (ie. give the Novolog as you would have Humalog).

If you're concerned just make the switch on the weekend when you can keep an eye on things.

3. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

Thanks Wilf,
    I knew I could count on you for this info.
    I heard it was a more stable molecule, does that impact the duration of action??

4. cherylbader

cherylbader Approved members

To Novolog

We found that the tail was shorter and more predictable with the Novolog. Exchanges were very similar, but we know that the insulin tails off between 2 and 3 hours on our son. With the Humalog, it wasn't that predictable and was longer. :)

5. AmyMcCracken

AmyMcCracken Approved members

I agree with the Novolog being more predictable, but for Kaylie a 1:1 switch didn't work. It's been a few years, but it seems like she required MORE novolog than humalog. It's probably a good idea to do the switch over the weekend and feed meals where you are certain of the carb counts. That will help you figure out if 1:1 works for you.