- advertisement -

Switching to lantus but it seems like lantus=more shots

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momof6, Nov 27, 2006.

1. momof6

momof6 Approved members

Starting lantus later this week. He was (still is for a few more days) on nph and reg . Mixed both in the morn, which was one shot, then maybe 1-2 shots of novolog thru-out the day. I asked the endo if I'd have to give lantus(6units) AND novolog in the morn(he is always high in the morn200+)and she said yes. I also knew already that he would need more shots...I dunno...I'm kinda wondering if it was wise to switch. I just kept hearing good things about it.

He usually only gets one low, and thats by 10am and I just give him a snack. So I know with the lantus he will no longer need a snack before lunch. I don't know if I'd call it a 'better' trade off. We'll see how it goes.

After finding out that his a1c of 8 is not high, but actually right on target, I felt more at ease. All this time I was thinking it was high, but they say 7.5-8.5 numbers are ideal for children under 13.

2. kittycatgirl

kittycatgirl Approved members

Lantus is the best choice we ever made!

I understand how you might be worried because I felt the same way. Lantus gives both of you so much more freedom. You don't have to worry about time as much. Your child can sleep late if he/she wants. They don't have to follow a meal plan as much and you don't have to worry about sudden lows. Lantus is more stable in regards to BS #'s. I don't know how old your child is but my daughter is 12 and Lantus has given her the freedom to feel more like a teen. She can eat lunch with her friends and even attend a school party without feeling left out. Yes it does require more shots but as they get older they are not snacking as much. She takes 4-6 shots a day, usually just 4. She loves Lantus and said that she wishes they just started her on that at the hospital. I hope that helps.
    Diane

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Lantus/Novolog regimine gives you more freedom

Yes, unfortunately, it does mean more shots. However, it allows you much more flexibility and you're feeding the child, not the insulin. I think this regimine works very well for young children because of their very unpredictable eating habits! You don't have to worry about feeding the insulin. We were also able to give snacks without covering the carbs. So, for example for morning snack she had a ratio of 1 unit of insulin for every 15g of carbs eaten. We were able to give her a wide choice without having to give a shot. She might have been a little higher at lunch, but we just corrected with the meal.

The regimine does take a little getting used to, but it does work well, especially for young kids. Many people refer to the Lantus/Novolog regimine as pumping with out the pump. You're doing everything a pump but without the equipment.

4. bonhamx4

bonhamx4 Approved members

Our son is 3 and was put on Lantus about 11 months ago now, He was diagnosed when he was 15 months. At first we were giving a extra shot for the Lantus but we were told by our endo that we can mix the Lantus and Humalog. We have been mixing the two for about 2 months now and have not had any problems.

Rich

5. bethdou

bethdou Approved members

At the hospital, the dr. gave us 2 choices: 3 shots a day or 4 shots a day?
    I immediately said 3, but then she explained how NPH works vs. how Lantus works and asked which would fit our family's life style better. We chose Lantus for the flexibility, because our weekdays are hectic and I'm never sure what time we will get home (if I have meetings, conferences, DH is out of town, etc) to have dinner. It worked out really well for us - we went to the pump because with puberty, M's numbers are just really tough to keep in rein (we were doing up to 10 corrections a day - might as well have the pump!). If I had to go back to shots, it would definitely be to Lantus and Novolog, not NPH.

6. momof6

momof6 Approved members

Well, he's been on it for 4.5 days now, and the amt of units he gets(total insulin) has dropped. Before it was about 10-12 units, now he's down to 7-9, and no more highs in the morn(actually low)

So far so good.