- advertisement -

Switching to apidra

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by lohmggcjr, Apr 2, 2015.

1. lohmggcjr

lohmggcjr Approved members

We going to try it out for 30 days and switching tonight. Anyone have experience? Endo said I shouldn't need to change ratios, your thoughts?

2. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

We found about a 20% overall reduction in insulin needs - mostly from carb ratios and corrections, less so from basal . But still … Be prepared for lows.!

3. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Hard to tell if we saw a reduction in insulin needs, as it seemed that her honeymoon ended, puberty started, and we began using Apidra all on the same day! I do believe that we don't need to wait as long for Tiki to begin eating after pre-bolusing (about 10 minutes.) And we continue to get three days out of each Pod after switching from Humalog to Apidra (I've heard that some people need to change Pods every two days with Apidra, and don't forget that the t-Slim pump and Apidra do not play well together).

4. lohmggcjr

Three days in and I have noticed we needed to increase basal by 15% and decrease carb ratios. I think it will take a few more days of tweaking. I have been using a temp basal because her site is on her bum, and I have sneaky suspicion that the site isn't as effective as her arm. We saw this with novalog too. overall I like it, the spikes are not as high but she has been running higher. Like she is 170 eats a meal goes up 30-50 points come back down to 170. This is why I have increased her basal.

5. lohmggcjr

Ok... Forget what I said. I hated it. I have been up for four nights in a row fighting stuck highs and days were a roller coaster, back on novalog

6. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

Our first try with Apidra lasted 3 days, with results similar to yours. We started on a Friday morning & by Sunday night we threw in the towel. We waited a few weeks for the start of spring break to give it another try. We had the same issues with stubborn highs but we stuck it out. By the time school started back things had settled down. We would switch back in a heartbeat if insurance would allow it.

From my discussions with other parents & visiting other forums, our experience is not uncommon.

7. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

My son had the same experience with the really stubborn highs. Gave it up after a week, but he is MDI. I really would not ever try Apidra with a tSlim because very few people have been able to make it work.

8. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

Forgive my confusion, but OP were you using Apidra with the T:slim? Your siggy says Medtronic, so I thought that was the pump you were using. My dd was on the Ping when using Apidra.

Overall, I think Apidra is a much less forgiving insulin. When my dd's basals are off with Novolog, it's a fairly easy fix. With Apidra, a basal that was even a tiny bit too high sent her skyrocketing & stuck for hours. We kept following the CDE & endo advice & just kept raising basals, which made things worse. On a fluke, I tried lowering the basals & from then on, things were much smoother. A hard lesson learned for sure.

FWIW, we've used Apidra injections for illness highs since switching back to Novolog. It works much faster, & without the worry of delayed lows from the Novolog tail. We're down to our last 2 vials, which will expire this summer. I'll surely miss it.

9. lohmggcjr

No we do use the Medtronic, someone else mention tslim.

I do have to say I liked that she never dropped low on the apidra, but the highs were high and lots for corrections were being made, it was driving me batty;)