- advertisement -

Switching to Apidra next week - tips?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by KHS22, Jul 25, 2014.

1. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

I've been reading old threads like crazy to get some idea of what to expect. Sounds like its a fairly even split of love or hate!! She is on a pump, on Humalog currently. Last A1C was 6.6.

Our endo team only has one kid on apidra, and they are on MDI - so they haven't been too helpful with knowing how to prepare for Apidra.

We wanted to try it because of insane post meal spikes, and highs that are often take a really long time to come down. Also, because she's so little still, an insulin we can give more as she is eating is ideal!

So I've gathered a few ideas from reading old posts...

1. we may have to change basal times forward an hour or so due to the quick acting. Should I do this right away, or wait and see?'

2. Duration of action - I saw anywhere from 2 hours to 6!!! We are at 3.5 on Humalog - so I'm guessing I should at least decrease a bit from that, and then see how it goes?

Any other advice?

Thanks!

2. natallia

natallia Approved members

Hi there! My son is 3 yo, pumping with apidra for over a year now. We switched from Humalog for the same reason: crazy post meal spikes. Worked like a charm. We didn't change anything about basals but set the duration from 3.5 to 3.

3. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Loved apidra, still miss it! Apidra doesn't work in the tslim so he had to go back to novolog but he still uses it for stubborn highs and corrections via syringe. DIA was set at 2 hours. No basal changes for him personally, all his settings remained the same other than DIA but he has a strong dawn phenom so nights in particular are when his basals are high. We were lucky to have Dexcom during the transition so could see exactly what was happening...any CGM in the picture, I don't notice it on your signature but maybe??

4. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

Thanks guys... So I guess I'll just switch, except lower the DIA a little, and then see if it needs to be lowered more. Seems like Apidra is either love or hate... and I've been dealing with stubborn highs all this week while at the cottage, so I'm willing to give it a shot incase it works!!

5. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

We are currently having another go with Apidra in the ping. The first time we ever used apidra in the pump, it was absolutely wonderful. Site change came and we couldn't fight the highs. Whether it was due to apidra or other factors, I'm not sure. Since I still have a bunch of pens, I decided to try to give it another go because I don't want them to go to waste... She's been low all day. But site change + brand new insulin always = lows for her. I completely forgot to do a temp basal this morning before I left for work.

So right now, it's working.

6. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

Apidra turned into a thick viscous gel (in the cartridge ) for me. It was really bizarre.

7. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

That is weird... Does it happen often, for others? And any idea why it doesn't work with the Tslim vs other pumps?

Kristen, we are pumping with Ping too...

So we are about a day in to Apridra- haven't noticed any BIG differences. BUT, I just fed her a high carb breakfast - which is unusual for us- and usually sends her to a huge spike. So I'm curious to see if the Apidra makes any difference...

8. shannong

shannong Approved members

I tried Apidra for my son for the very same reasons: insane spikes that took forever to get down. Apidra did not work well however and we switched back to Novorapid. The spikes were actually worse on Apidra. I think it is always worth a try though.

9. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

So for the last month.. ish.. we've been switching apidra and novolog in the pump. I had wanted to try again bc something was telling me that the bad experience we had with apidra in the pump was user error... it was. She is doing completely fine with alternating the two insulins

10. Ali

Ali Approved members

I do believe that all the insulins react differently in different people. So you try it for awhile and decide. Try and be open minded that what did not work at one time might work at another. For me Novolog worked way better than Humolog in a pump, for many they see no difference. For me Apidra works more quickly, I can bolus right before eating and it is out of my system in 2 and 1/2 hours max. So for me in a pump and with the type of food I eat and the timing of my eating this is a good insulin. But... I do find Apidra trickier as a basal, it took me over a year to really work out this insulin when used in a pump but for me the short action and the not having to pre bolus made the work on everything else worth working out.
    Ali