advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

switching off the pump

Discussion in 'Insulin Pumps' started by zuzinka, Mar 16, 2012.

1. zuzinka

zuzinka Approved members

If I switch off the pump (medtronic) for lets say 20 minutes and the switch it on again, would the pump add the outstanding insulin which was not deliver within those 20 minutes?
    also if I switch it off for more than an hour, would it add the basal, which was not delivered in that hour??

thanks in advance

2. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

No. If you turn off the pump, any bolus given was already given. If you stop it in the middle of a bolus, it will not remember to give the rest, unless you tell it to. I can't remember if the pump reminds you if a bolus is not finished (I think it does), but you have to tell it to.

Same thing for any basal missed during the shut off. You have to either give the basal which will be missed before you switch it off or give it after you restart it.

3. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I am not sure how the PING pump turns off! I can take out the battery, but it always runs otherwise.

Wouldn't suspending do what you want?

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I'm sure she means suspending the pump.

Paula is right. The pump will not deliver any insulin "missed" during the time the pump was suspended.

5. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

Suspending is what I think you mean, or that is what is called on the Ping. It doesn't add in any missed insulin. You can bolus for the missed insulin if needed. When I suspend my son, we don't usually need to add the missed insulin back. Although he hasn't been suspended longer than 30 min:rolleyes:.