- advertisement -

Swimming with Dexcom

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mamattorney, May 27, 2014.

1. kt_mom

kt_mom Approved members

Thanks! That looks like it would work great for what we want. I'll have to see about ordering some.

2. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

Every child is different (and perhaps even the same child is different at different times). My daughter thought the brightly colored wrap was cool and looked sporty despite my casually mentioning that she might not like a color that stands out. I used to work at a school in which all the students were deaf. The biggest craze was neon colored hearing aids which were quite visible compared to the skin colored ones.

3. caspi

caspi Approved members

My son is 15 and usually pretty private about his D but he wears vetrap around his arm without any issue. He prefers the white rolls. I buy it in bulk (100 rolls) from a horse supply company. Only problem with doing that is that I'm now on multiple mailing lists for farm equipment and the like, lol.

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Yup both of my girls are, 9 and 6.

But they do make a skin colored one that is very close to my girls coloring, and on my youngest I scarified a pair or expensive ballet tights to make a snug cover that looks nice. May need that for dance competition next week if the Dexcom is still otherwise working well and still on her arm.

5. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Has anyone checked out Bands for Life? Not waterproof, but they keep Dexcoms and Pods in place.

6. caspi

caspi Approved members

My son wasn't a fan. It didn't stay put around his pod as snuggly as vetrap does. He plays a lot of sports so keeping the pod in place is paramount. But it definitely is better looking. :)

7. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

We haven't tried either Bands for Life or vet wrap yet because my daughter doesn't start with her Omnipod until next Tuesday (4 days and counting!). But I received the Band I ordered and I'll get some vet wrap this weekend. I'm thinking that we'll use the Band for everything but swimming and use vet wrap when she's swimming. We'll just have to see what works.

8. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

Well, fingers crossed . . . my daughter's been at the pool for three hours, vet wrap like product (bought a different brand from amazon) in place. I hope the adhesive stays stuck!

9. Lizzie's Mom

Lizzie's Mom Approved members

Those of you who use vet wrap - what width do you use? Two inch would seem to narrow; 3 inch iffy; I'm thinking 4 inch, but what works for you all?

10. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

We bought the two inch and just "overlap" wrapped it around her arm a couple of times - like you would with an Ace bandage.

11. Cheetah-cub

Cheetah-cub Approved members

I had the same question as you. I went out and bought some home to sample. I found the 3 inch wide ones cover over the Dexcom sensor very well. 4 inches would be wider than it needs to be.

12. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I like 2 and 3 inch because the tend to "hug" better, with less bulk.