- advertisement -

Swimming & Missed Basal?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by heamwdevine, Aug 9, 2012.

1. heamwdevine

heamwdevine Approved members

When your kiddos are swimming, do you give them a little for the missed basal?

We haven't been, but then we see the highs later. I guess we need to experiment with giving a little bolus for some missed basal. I'm just afraid of lows, but we could start slow with 0.1-0.2/hour and see what happens. I'm starting to have quite the little swimmer and she might want to join the swim team soon :)

2. andeefig

andeefig Approved members

We definitely do bolus the missed basal. About every hour or so. We have him sip a light carb drink like the Gatorade G2 drinks or the Arnold Palmer lite to off set it and keep him in range. If we don't bolus the basal, we definitely can go high.

3. minniem

minniem Approved members

Well, my ds swam on the swim team this year and I was not replacing the basal as he was staying in range for the beginning of the meets and I was afraid of lows. But then we fought enormous highs later on. We had our appt with the endo and she said we HAD to replace at least 1/2-3/4 of the missing basal, so we tried it and guess what? It worked great!

We experimented a bit, and I would replace 1/2 to 3/4 of his basal depending on what his BG number was, but it worked so much better at keeping him in range during the swim meet. We do the same at the pool for recreational swimming. For his swim practice that was only 1 hour so I would just unhook him and let him swim and not worry about the basal for that as the swimming kept him in range.

Good luck!:cwds:

4. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We've been taught that if the swimming is to be for 2 hours or more, to reduce basal by 50% an hour before. Then, when disconnecting, bolus the next (coming) hour by 50%. Reconnect each hour and bolus at 50% for the next hour. We test BGs every 30 minutes while swimming and give carbs accordingly.

5. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

We never bolus missed basal. We usually have a problem fighting lows because of all of the exercise. I need to reduce his basal by about 40% for a half hour before swimming and give him a juice box or glucose tablets (if he is in range) before swimming...and he usually comes out after a couple of hours swimming right in range...sometimes low. And then I really have to watch him overnight for lows.

6. Meredithsmom

Meredithsmom Approved members

My little fish has the same issues. Battles highs when discinnected for swimming. So we give 1/2 of missed basal as a bolus every hour. Then do a temp basal for 2 hours at 120%. That seems to combat the highs. As for the lows that come in the middle of the night or the next morning, we're still trying to figure those out. ;)

Swim team will start up again in a few weeks. Should be interesting.

7. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

We found Ava gets ketones really easily if she misses the basal, so we dose for it, and give lots of uncovered carb snacks. Especially if you are at the pool in the hot sun, some nice cold grapes or frozen applesauce. Gatoraide sips here and there.

8. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

We don't bolus for the missed basal either. Although he does snack often, so he is getting snack boluses plus any correction, every 1-2 hours.

9. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

No we don't bolus for missed basal. Most of the time Ashleigh runs low after swimming.

10. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

When Jack swims for an hour to 1.5 hours, we do a 200% temp basal for an hour afterwards, and usually a straight one unit bolus. If he was VERY active in the water, I skip the one unit bolus.

If he's disconnected for more than 1.5 hours to swim, we reconnect at that point and do a straight bolus depending on his BG, but it's usually a frigging disaster no matter what we do.

11. heamwdevine

heamwdevine Approved members

Thanks. Today she bolused 0.5 before her 1 hr lesson with heavy lap swimming and I got nervous and gave her 2 glucose tabs. Then she was 288 afterwards. I think I'll try the 1/2-3/4 basal bolus and maybe a temporary increase afterwards too if that doesn't do it.