- advertisement -

Swimming and CGM wonkiness

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by virgo39, May 19, 2015.

1. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Last week, DD started swimming with a team. They practice for an hour three timeS a week. Since we began using the Dexcom last summer, DD has swum in pools, lakes, andthe ocean. But now, it seems as though the minute she enters the water, the Dexcom loses the signal. Once it picks up again, it is highly inaccurate, which has not been our experience with the CGM generally or with other swimming. (Though this pool does seem more heavily chlorinated). We then spend the night with hourglasses and question marks and calibration prompts, and it seems by morning to "regain" it's accuracy.

I've stayed at poolside with the receiver. I would have expected DD to be in range a decent amount of time.

The times we have wrapped the transmitter (on her arm) in Vetrap did not seem to make any difference. When we get home after swim, I have been removing the transmitter and wiping it with an alcohol wipe and letting it dry...still no difference.

I have not tried covering the whole thing with Tegaderm--guess that's next. I have not tried simply removing the transmitter (in the hope that while it will at least avoid some of the inaccuracies after swimming).

Also, the transmitter is five months old... could this be a sign that it's time to replace it (our first one lasted 8+ months and seemed to work okay the whole time)?

Any insights would be appreciated.

2. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I would try covering it with a 4 inch by 4 inch piece of tegaderm. I think that would be the easiest option. I have had issues with ??? after swimming but never for more than a few hours. Sorry. That sounds really frustrating!

3. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

We have an above ground pool, and when DS jumps in I never get a signal. Ever. We keep the receiver nearby on the off chance he will be out of the pool about to jump back in when the transmitter chirps.

I have not had any problems after the swim.

Since this sounds like training vs swimming for fun, perhaps after there is alot of action in the numbers, causing the Dex algorithm some trouble. So i would make sure she drinks a decent amount of water afterwards. Swimming for an hour is alot of work and she may be dehydrated.

4. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

The Dex signal does not transmit well in water. We never get a signal while she's in the pool, & sometimes even the bath. The weirdness after could be moisture under the transmitter. We always remove the transmitter & dry it after pool time. The waterproof tape is a good idea. Wish we could try it but my dd's skin doesn't like Tegaderm or Flexifix.

5. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Thanks for the quick responses! I will try the Tegaderm. Her first night, I was going to use a Johnson & Johnson "shower" cover that I had picked up, but it was stiffer than the Tegaderm, and she felt it would bother her (transmitter was on her arm).

Yes, she is doing training, much more intensive than vacation swimming, that's for sure. So it may be a combination of things. She does drink after swim, but perhaps not as much as she really needs...I'll keep a closer eye on that.

Today, the Dexcom briefly showed BG at 190, and within a few minutes DD tested really low (PDM said 28, but I think that was due in part to wet fingers). It's the post-swimming inaccuracy that I've found the most difficult...last night it turned out that the Dexcom was reading low, so we didn't correct when we should have, but another night it was reading high (fortunately we checked with meter and didn't correct). We've come to rely on the CGM so much, it feels odd to not be able to lately.

6. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Someone suggested this to me on FB and it's worked great for us. When you install the Dex, install it so that the clips are pointing down, like an upside-down U shape. That way water won't pool in the curve and it will drain quickly. Ever since we've done this we've been able to keep a signal in the shower, and pick up a signal when swimming if he's out for a few moments and catches the 5 minute ping. We are experimenting with adhesives at the moment. Tegaderm does a number on his skin because it doesn't breathe, so we are trying rock tape and skin-tac. Whatever adhesive we use, we always use vet wrap on top because we swim in a pond (I know, I know!) and I'm terrified of losing the transmitter.