- advertisement -

Swimming and BG

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kiwimum, Jan 3, 2011.

1. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

After 4 yrs of living with D, this is going to seem like a dumb question, but I'll ask anyway. (already asked on FB but thought this might be more fruitful)

Do you notice a difference in the way BG's behave depending on whether the swimming is in a pool or in the ocean?:confused:

Tyler drops like a rock in the pool, but lately has steadily climbed when swimming at the beach. Mind you, it is awfully hot at the moment, so I guess that would come into play.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!:)

2. lisab

lisab Approved members

No question is a 'dumb question' Debs.......where diabetes is concerned. We see a similar pattern with Yasmine. Drops like a rock in a pool.....and goes sky high at the beach. Can't explain the why's......just that is what happens..... we can guarantee overnight lows after the beach though. I wonder how many others see the same with pool v's beach swimming?

3. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I have no idea Debs. But it is certainly interesting. I think someone a couple of years back posted here about something similar happening. I wonder (and take this with a grain of salt) if the highs at the beach are actually not from rebounding.

ETA - Or (add more salt) at the pool they actually swim more, so they tend to go low, whereas at the beach they're not swimming all the time.

4. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

Now see Paula, you and I are thinking alike! Those are the exact same reasons I came up with, but then I too could be wrong!:D

5. StillMamamia

I told you we were related!:D

Oh, one more odd thought - the sun at the beach affecting insulin absorption.

6. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

Again Sista, you took the words right out of my mouth. :D

Were you listening to me ramble on to DH tonight, cause this is the same conversation I had with him - well, at him!:)

7. StillMamamia

LOL, unfortunately not. My listening radar was not picking up NZ waves very well.:(

BUT, as my DH often says "Don't try to figure everything out. It is how it is and that's it." He may have a point, though I still am interested in finding out why this happens.:D

8. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

You and me both! We (actually I) have decided that we are going to treat sea swimming and pool swimming as 2 totally different activities, and see how we go. It will mean just disconnecting the pump for the actual swim and bolusing for food. (If we did that for pool swimming, he would probably go into a low coma!)

Live and learn, I say!:)

9. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'm voting that the really cold water is causing his BG to spike. If the sea water is really cold in NZ.. I've never been there, and I'm used to the ocean in Europe. Which is cold.

10. Julie mom of Jack 6 dxd 3

Julie mom of Jack 6 dxd 3 Approved members

No beach here but Jack does swim team and he gets adrenaline highs the waves and excitment may cause this too just a thought/.

11. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I've never been to an ocean- I've swum in Lake Michigan and in swimming pools- but it seems to me that at a swimming pool, people really swim swim swim, and the water's at least three feet deep.
    At the beach at Lake Michigan, most people in the water are not really swimming. They are splashing and sitting in the shallow water and maybe holding their breath and going down- but they are not swimming anywhere near as intensively as at swimming pools.