- advertisement -

Swim with infusion set

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by brokenheart, May 31, 2010.

1. brokenheart

brokenheart Approved members

My son David loves to play in the pool, but the infusion set tends to come off every time he plays in the water. How do you guys handle this? Patch a bandage on top of the infusion set?

2. Ginagbaby1

Ginagbaby1 Approved members

I've heard that IV 3000 works great over a site to keep it in place.

3. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

We use skin tac in the summer to keep the sites on in the water. The only times we have ever lost a site is when we were out of skin tac (like last week, for instance LOL)

4. sariana

sariana Approved members

Caedence has swimming lessons in the spring. She has never lost a patch while swimming as long as it is a normal pool and only an hour long.

The one time that she did lose it, we were in a larger pool, with rushing water and bubbles. That one came RIGHT off and we had to go MDI after that..

5. Kayla and Ethan's Mom

Kayla and Ethan's Mom Approved members

We live in the pool in the summer and have started already! IV prep has been working great!

6. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

Skin Tac does a great job keeping the set on. You have to apply it before you put the new set in. On days 2 or 3 of the set when we know Mia will be in and out of the pool all day, we occasionally tape some Opsite over the site (cut out a hole for the plastic part and tubing) in addition to help secure the site.

7. sarahconnormom

sarahconnormom Approved members

We use skin-tac and Connor's sites do great in the pool. We tried IV 3000 when he first started pumping and we were losing sites in the tub. Switched to skin-tac a few weeks into pumping and we've only lost a couple sites since.

8. brokenheart

brokenheart Approved members

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. We have been using smith&nephew I.V. Prep for a while. It still comes off while David soaks in the pool. Showering is usually OK. We quite often have to patch a bandage on top of the the site. Will skin-tac and see how it goes. Thanks again.

9. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

Where do you get skin tac? going to the beach on Sat!

10. hold48398

Jack, the IV Prep wasn't strong enough for us either. The Skin Tac really does a great job. Just generously wipe it onto the skin it after the alcohol wipe and before applying the new set and (very important) make sure to let it dry completely before applying the new set (30 seconds or so). This will make the skin very very sticky. When you are ready to take the old site off after 2-3 days, use REMOVE or UNISOLVE (or baby oil) and soak the old site with that. This way the skin tac will come loose and the removal won't hurt.

GL!

11. hold48398

12. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

I always cover the infusion site with a bandage that has a clear small circle in the middle so I can always see the site...so far so good...And IV prep helps greatly for holding the bandage in place...

13. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

We do a 3 step process:
    1) alcohol wipe
    2) iv prep
    3) skin tac

we have really good luck as long as we do all 3. :)

14. fdlafon

fdlafon Approved members

We got some IV3000 last summer when Jordan was newly pumping.

On a side note - My daughter just had an emergency apendetomy and the doctor didn't want her scar to be soaked in water for long periods of time, and also because it is such a fresh scar, I was worried about it getting burnt. So, I sprayed it with sun block, let it dry and then covered it with an IV3000 ~ Worked like a charm all day long everyday this past weekend. We lived in the pool and had no problems at all.

Good Luck!

15. shekov

shekov Approved members

I would have lost my mind if someone hadn't recommended Skin Tac for us!

We were losing sites left and right. Now it's very rare to lose a site due to water issues.

I use Desolvit to remove the sites and it works great. Also gets some gross stains out of clothes and sticky off of just about anything in the house.