- advertisement -

Sweet smelling breath

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lachysmum, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Lachysmum

Lachysmum Approved members

Thank you so much everyone for all your advice, it is a long weekend here so nothing is open, but will get on top things straight away if things get bad.
    Thank you so much and will touch base in the morning

Alison

2. realsweety

realsweety Approved members

my daughter allison 4 had the fruity breathe ,constant thirst,frequent urination,and even though she was completely potty trained started peeing the bed and having nightmares.I got lucky in a weird way.my mom new the signs of diabetes and told me as much.same night she told me, allison was diagnosed.we didnt have the trauma of life light or ambulance.I'm hoping and praying for you and your family.what everyone else said is true your mommy instincts are telling you something is wrong,never doubt your mommy instincts.hopefully its something else that can be treated easily.please keep us all posted becouse I know that we all care and will check back here often to see how you are doing .I am sending some courage and hugs your way .

3. Lachysmum

Thank you the support here is amazing, you are an incredible bunch of people. I took a wee sample & checked Lachy's wee it was ok & no ketones and his breath doesn't seem so sweet smelling tonight but what I'm wondering is id he hasn't eaten, his blood sugars wuld go down naturally & the sweet smell would go away & his wee test would be normal until the next time he has a big meal or is this not really the case?
    I have thought this on and off over the weeks but then ignore it because the symptoms go.
    Any thoughts? perhaps I'm just overreacting!!

Alison

4. andeefig

andeefig Approved members

Maybe it's just me, but I would head to the ER and get a finger stick done. Max was dxd 2 weeks after 1st birthday, was sick for the 2 weeks prior, also allergic to dairy (soy also), had high ketones and was DKA even when he couldn't keep anything down. Normally slept great, but was up alot like your little guy.

I say all this because your story hit too close to home. Please don't delay for your sake and his and please keep us updated.

5. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

I agree. Doesn't fruity breath signal very high blood sugars and ketones? I don't think you get fruity breath if bgs are only a little high. It could be serious.

6. Lachysmum

Hi Andrea,
    So am I right in thinking that Lachy's body is compensating at the moment regulating his own blood sugars when he is & isn't eating? He has suffered severe reflux from 1 week old & have had a lot of trouble getting him to eat, in the beginning we thought food was bothering his reflux and then went down the line salicylates & amines but now I'm thinking it's his blood sugars that are bothering him.
    This behaviour is so new, he is never normally this 'naughty' (I hate that word for a baby!) but is waking every 20 mins overnight & won't go back to sleep, but is not in pain.
    There is a chance that he will have a finger prick & the levels will be normal, so should I feed him some food before the test to help it along or will that give a false positive?
    Sorry about all these questions I am just so curious!

7. Lachysmum

Just one more thing, I have read everyone say that fruity breath is serious etc but he has had fruity breath then it's gone away & nothing bad has happened so if it is DM would it be because things aren't so bad at the moment & the levels came down on their own? If things were worse perhaps that's when things would get bad??

8. andeefig

I don't believe the numbers will come down on their own. Max wouldn't eat / drink and his bg was 782. So strange....Max had reflux, too. Our stories are to similar! I would not feed hime before you get a finger stick. Probably better to get a fasting number. Do you have a pediatrician on call today? They should advise.

Please don't let them t you that all is well with out testing hus BG. First time we wnt to ER, they said he was getting his 1 year molars and to "ride it out". 3 days later, he was DKA and in the ICU. Not to sound like alarmist...it could be nothing. Just listen to your instincts.

9. Lachysmum

Goodness that must have been so scary for you, you have been through so much, especially after suffering a devastating blow like reflux!! Lachy is also CMP allergic, thankfully he can take soy unlike your situation.
    Listening to all these horror stories I don't think it's our issue, but I might just get it checked out anyway incase it is DM & we catch it early before something like DKA occurs...

10. andeefig

Good idea! It will make you feel alot better. Praying that's not DM, but if it is, that's OK, too. let us know....we're here for you.

11. Lachysmum

Thank you, off to bed knowing I'll prob be awake frequently tonight, thanks everyone for all your help :)

Alison

12. LJS118

LJS118 Approved members

Trust your gut and take him to the doc. Hopefully its not d, but maybe its something else...i hope its nothing for your sake. You know that something isn't right, just check it out, you'll go nuts until you do. Good luck and keep us posted.

13. EmmasMom

EmmasMom Approved members

My daughter was diagnosed at 9 months and was acting exactly as you describe your son's behavior. She was not sleeping well and would wake up several times crying unconsolably...until I gave her a another bottle. I didn't realize that she was thirsty at first, she was just very upset and I thought she wanted a bottle for comfort. (She had just weened from breast to bottle and had been drinking a lot of them). She was also tired and grumpy during the day. She would be covered in sweat during her naps and had an unusual almost musty smell to her hair. I did not notice excessive urine output, but she did wet though her diapers at night pretty often. She hadn't gained any weight for well over a month either, in spite of her hearty appetite.

The classic symptoms were not clear until the day we took her in to her pedi. She'd cried all night and the only thing that would quiet her was more milk or a sippy cup full of water. She drank three cups of water right after a bottle and I just knew she had diabetes, although I could not believe it was possible.

We had to insist on labs because the pedi thought she looked fine. She wasn't. Her blood sugar was 700 with very large ketones.

I agree that mom's just know when something is wrong. I also know that your theory about fluctuating blood sugars prior to diagnosis is very common, though few people ever see it. It is entirely possible that your sons body could produce spurts of insulin that bring him back into normal range and clear the ketones. After a severe illness it would make sense that his body would be stressed and have more trouble maintaining normal levels.

My daughter always had very sweet breath prior to dx's and I thought it was just wonderful baby breath.:cwds: She also had horrible colic and cried constantly for her first few months. This seems to be very common in children that are dx'd with diabetes as infants, though there are no stats since there are so few of them.

Just FYI, True "ketone breath" that is a sign of DKA smells like acetone, (yes, finger nail polish remover), because it is acetone building up in your body. When combined with really high blood sugar you get a strange sweet smell like really over ripe fruit mixed with finger nail polish remover.

One more thing... you can get mild ketone breath from "ketosis" which is simply from burning a lot of fat. In a small child who's been very sick and not eating high ketone levels are pretty common.

Please keep us updated. I really hope he's fine!!:cwds:

14. skimom

skimom Approved members

Having been through this twice with older kids, including one we very nearly lost, PLEASE TAKE YOUR CHILD IN NOW!!!! I too waited on my older son and he was critically ill on admission. I noticed my daughter much earlier and things went better for her. Trust your mommy insticts - even if it isn't D, there is something wrong with your child which needs to be addressed ASAP.

15. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I think that's a great idea, feed her then take her to the ER. IF, this is diabetes, they can go down hill fast. Hopefully it's not...But better safe than sorry, especially when their too young to tell you how they feel. If you weren't concerned, you wouldn't be here...Please trust your gut.

My oldest got the croup when he was 12, he was breathing kinda hard but I didn't want to over react and be one of "those moms" I had him sit in the bathroom with the shower on, it didn't help much. Finally, I decided to take him in. The nurse took one look at him and took him straight back:eek: There was a room FULL of people waiting to be seen. THAT was scary, I'm so glad I trusted by gut. We don't want our kids to be sick, we want it to be nothing, and we want to be over reacting...I pray that your over-reacting, but, take her to the ER anyway. Then, you will know for sure.

16. Lachysmum

Thank you all for more info, Lachy is eating nothing again today, when I tried thismorning he vomited. I know there's something up, I'm going to make an appointment in the morning, however I can't smell anymore sweet breath (however he hasn't eaten anything!)
    Emmasmom I was trying to find you earlier to ask you some questions so I'm glad you jumped on this post, it's nice to hear from someone who had a bub so young being diagnosed (well not nice, but good to hear your side of things) so thank you.
    I did a dipstick thismorning & he has protein in his urine, not sure what this means, but I'm onto it.

Thank you so much once again, will keep in touch.

Alison

17. shekov

shekov Approved members

I really feel you should run him into the ER just to be safe. My daughter was just diagnosed and I could have caught it earlier (she was 2). I know you will follow through but think sooner may be better than an appointment in a few days. Just my opinion;)

18. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

I just wanted to add that I hope all turns out well with Lachy. Pls let us know how he is doing and what the ped said. We are here for you!

19. LJS118

LJS118 Approved members

Please get him to the ER...Ryan was throwing up the morning he was dx'd...
    Please give us an update

20. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

Yes, please go to the ER now! My son was throwing up too the day he was diagnosed and was in diabetic ketoacidosis, and had to be transported to a childrens hospital for a stay in the PICU. We were then told to brace ourselves because this could kill him, and he was only 20 months old. Don't mean to scare you but things can get so ugly with diabetes.