- advertisement -

Swallow Test?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by susan, Jun 30, 2010.

1. susan

susan Approved members

Emily is having a swallow test Friday and I have no idea what to expect. A little background..When she says anything with an "sh", shoe, shirt, brush, anything that has that combination and a few others she sounds like she is gurgling the sound through her nose..Not so much talking through her nose it's a very odd sound..If she's congested she sounds even worse and if you hold her nose she can't say those words period..It's kinda odd actually..So I took her to the ENT and he thought it was a speech issue and wanted me to have her tested for speech..I did and the speech therapist thought it was a medical issue and not a speech issue so they would not qualify her for speech..The speech lady thought it sounded like she might have a submucous cleft palate, so when I took her for her 4 year check up her ped didn't see anything but suggested I take her back to the ENT..So back to the ENT we went last Friday..He still thinks it's a speech issue but is ever so nicely going to run some tests to make mama happy, and the fact that he can't explain why she can't talk when you hold her nose..He did a hearing test which came back normal (although when she went for the hearing test the lady asked if she had a cleft palate because that's how she talks), so now she is having a swallow test Friday..He said if she has a submucous cleft that when she swallows it will come back through her nose..If that comes back normal he is going to sedate her so he can feel if there is anything there..So has anyone ever had a swallow test or dealt with a submucous cleft palate..

2. hmmmcormick

hmmmcormick Approved members

Morgan has had several swallow studies and I have a friend who has a child that has a submucousal cleft palate. The submucousal cleft palate means that there is a cleft in the palate, but the mucousal membrane grew over it an covered it up. I am not sure what they do about it, however. Morgan has velopharyngeal insufficiency, which means that the throat muscles are weakened and sometimes when he swallows, liquids come back out of his nose. There are just strengthening exercises for this, which he can not do since he can not follow directions.

The swallow study is easy if you can get your child to eat or drink all the things they give her. They always told us to make sure Morgan hadn't eaten for several hours before the test, just so he would be hungry. They put a little bit of barium in different consistency foods. The child eats the food and they take a series of xrays as the food is being chewed and swallowed to see what exactly is happening in the mouth and throat. They always gave Morgan thin liquids, like juice or milk, then tried applesauce and moved to foods that might have to be chewed more. This study is how we learned that his swallow is not safe for thin liquids.

I hope you get some answers from this test. Good luck!

3. susan

susan Approved members

Thanks! The ent also mentioned velopharyngeal insufficiency but I didn't know what that was..He also told me not to go googling all this stuff :rolleyes:..They told me she couldn't eat for 4 hours before the test and I am hoping she'll drink the stuff..I do know she has a hard time swallowing stuff, or she's just stubborn..She will chew food for forever, and then I'll make her spit it out..She also chokes more than my other two..

4. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

fwiw, my dad had one done a few years back and I got to sit with him while they did it - it was pretty cool actually because they are able to actually see the swallow while it's happening on the x-ray. You'll get to watch.

Anyway, my point, call ahead and ask what foods they're going to be using. It's very possible they will be able to substitute one food for another if she's picky. My dad, when he had this done, was suffering from some ICU dimentia/hallucinations and was afraid that the macaroni and cheese was going to "get" him -which is why I had to sit in there because he wanted me to make sure they didn't try to slip the mac and cheese to him on the sly. I kid you not. LOL. It's hysterical now..not so much at the time. But they were very good when I explained to the techs what was happening they were very able to accommodate us. :)

5. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

I have (or had?) velopharyngeal insufficiency after my tonsils and andenoids were removed in 3rd grade, I don't recall ever having a swallow study done but I had several, several years of speech therapy afterwards. I was done in 8th grade finally.

My youngest son had a swallow study done tho because he had delayed eating due to formula intolerances and being TPN dependent/tube fed as a baby. It is exactly like it has already been explained. good luck and keep us posted!!!