- advertisement -

Surgery Risks with Diabetes

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by doratheexplora, Jun 29, 2009.

1. doratheexplora

doratheexplora Approved members

My two year old was just diagnosed in May. Today, his opthamologist told us he needs eye surgery. Of course, I am terrified. Anyone gone through surgery with the diabetes? Extra complications/risks? Help!:eek::(

2. Noel

Noel Approved members

My DH has had eye surgery due to diabetes. What is your little one having done? Is the surgery related to diabetes?

3. hmmmcormick

hmmmcormick Approved members

My son had major surgery last fall, within 6 mos. of dx. The endo was too concerned about during the surgery, but said that afterward is when there could be some higher blood sugars. And, there were, but nothing that wasn't manageable. Depending on the type of surgery some of the drugs that are given afterward can raise b.g. If there are problems with lows they usually just run an i.v. with some glucose in it.

4. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

My DD had major surgery last summer, and her diabetes was no issue. They monitored her very closely, and of course I monitored them:p:D, but she was actually very stable. She was on an insulin drip for the first day, and they adjusted I think every 2 hours until she was stable around 100. For the surgery we decided to run her a little higher, but of course they monitored her too, we had to remove the cgms (just transmitter) for surgery. But as soon as I was back in control, I reconnected.

5. doratheexplora

doratheexplora Approved members

Feel a little better. Thanks everyone.

Noel: Strabismus (eyes turn in). Not related to diabetes.

6. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

My son had a titanium screw put in his broken wrist. All went smoothly. Have your endocrinologist communicate with the surgeon and staff - and make sure you know if there are special instructions too so you can be your child's advocate before and after. :)