- advertisement -

surgery in the morning

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ashley_lynden, Jun 3, 2010.

1. ashley_lynden

ashley_lynden Approved members

surgery in the morning *UPDATE - NEED ADVICE*

I'm starting to get a little nervous. Sloan is having his tonsils and adenoids out in the morning and tubes put in his ear. The ENT is also going to scope his larynx while they have him under.

At the very least we're staying overnight. (It would be outpatient if he wasn't diabetic.) I just hope it doesn't turn into a longer stay. He is so stubborn though. I'm afraid it's going to hurt him too bad and he's going to refuse to eat. Then no telling when we will go home.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  2. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

I will be thinking of you. My middle son had his T&A done when he was 5 and it was rough the day of and then if I remember right day 7 or so. He is non D tho so I will be praying that things go well for Sloan.

3. twolittleladybugs

twolittleladybugs Approved members

Good luck, I'll be thinking of you. We went through that with Emily a year ago. Sad to say, it was a tough thing to go through. Looking back now, it was totally the right decision. Emily was in the hospital 2 nights due to nausea, dehydration, lows, and ketones. We found it frustrating that we didn't feel we had a doctor really accountable for her. The ENT passed it off to the endo, and vice versa. The endo finally discharged her on the 3rd morning, I think because they just wanted us out of there (or the insurance did). This is despite her throwing up while the endo was in the room doing the discharge instructions. She vomited all the way home (2 hours) and we ended up in the ER that night. So, lesson learned to stand my ground and if my mommy instinct says she's not ready to go home, listen to it. Emily was also very nervous about going home which I should have paid attention to since that was unusual for her. Anyway, the ER doc gave us oral Zofran and we were good to go in about 10 minutes! We got through day 8 or so with what he sent home and then ran out and ended back in the hospital for 2 more nights as the scabs were falling off. Emily had a harder time than most kids though because her tonsils were inverted and she had a much larger area they had to cut.

I hope everything goes smoothly. Just remember that however it goes, it'll be totally worth it. Emily's so much healthier and has so much more energy than before her T&A. Just stick to your guns. You might ask if you can get some anti-nausea meds before you leave the hospital. The one our endo gave Emily didn't work for her (suppository, can't remember the name). The Zofran was a life-saver. Make sure you ask for generic since it's spendy (generic was only $5) and see if you can get the tabs that dissolve on the tongue--much easier than getting a kid minus tonsils to swallow the liquid.

Let us know how things go!
    Kelly

4. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Im thinking of you guys this morning. I hope the surgery goes off without a hitch and that Sloan feels better quick. If he cant eat because of pain you can reduce insulin dosages and he can just have juices and popsicles for a couple days, then maybe some soft foods like soup, applesauce, ice cream. If he'll stand for it even some baby food fruits wouldnt hurt his throat

5. Anja821

Anja821 Approved members

I'll be thinking of you, too, and watching your story closely. Evan gets his tonsils out next Friday and I'm a nervous wreck about it. Routine is everything to him, and I'm so afraid he'll be fighting me for breakfast in the morning.

Is it standard to have a diabetic patient stay overnight? We were told it's only a 20 minute procedure (tonsils only, I don't think his adenoids are coming out).

Good luck today!

6. courtneysmom608

courtneysmom608 Approved members

Courtney had her tonsils taken out about a year ago. We did spend the night at the hospital and went home the next morning. She was very sore. Throughout that night her blood sugar started going up and she started to get ketones. I ended up taking her back in, she was given a bag of fluids and some anti-nausea medicine and that did the trick.

Good luck with the surgery! :)

7. twolittleladybugs

Hope everything went well :)

Kelly

8. ashley_lynden

Just a quick update...

He did great this morning but after he woke up from a nap (croupy) this afternoon things aren't looking as good. His BG was low and it was all I could do to get him to eat to get it back up. Now it's dinner and he won't eat anything and all I can get down him is a sip or 2 every hour or so. Using sticks he has trace ketones. I'm almost certain they are starvation ketones as he hasn't had any insulin since 5 last night.

I'm going to check him again in a few minutes and will probably be making another call to our endo.

I'm not happy at all where we are at. The dietician, the nurses and even our pediatrician here just don't seem to understand type 1. They won't even let him have anything regular unless he is low. Umm...hello...if he is only getting sugar free popsicles (no carbs) how am I supposed to give him insulin to fight off these ketones.

If anyone has any advice please share it with me. I'm doing everything myself. I'm checking his BG (they have only asked for it twice since 7 this morning) I'm checking for ketones...I feel like they don't know what is going on.

9. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Ashley Im sorry its been so rough:( First off, Sloan needs some insulin. At least some lantus. Even if hes not eating he still needs a little bit of lantus or the ketones will get worse and his BGs will start to go high. Is he on pain meds? Try a lollipop or popsicle and tell the people at the hospital that you will be responsible for his diabetes and that you will be contacting his endo as he has to have insulin and some carbs tonight in the form of regular juice, popsicle or jello. They cannot keep you from treating his diabetes properly. Give the endo a call if you havent already. I so hope Sloan is feeling lots better in the morning:cwds:

10. ashley_lynden

I have called them. The endo has given me orders to call them as soon as he was out of surgery. They faxed orders here. He only gets .5 of lantus every morning and didn't take it this morning because of the surgery. He is supposed to resume it in the morning if he's eating and drinking ok. He's only supposed to take his NovoLog is he eats and his BG is over 150. Well, that hasn't happened yet. He's just not eating enough. I'm thinking he's going to end up with D5 in his IV. If things have not changed I will be calling the endo back in the morning.

He's now running a fever of 100.4 and that is with tylenol on board so who knows what this night is going to bring.

11. Our3girls

Our3girls Approved members

If they won't give u anything have someone bring it to u. Ultimately u are responsible for him & u know what's best. I had to take control when my middle daughter was an Infant and got hospitalized, it got bad. I wish u the best & hope they work with u. ((Hugs))

12. twolittleladybugs

I think you know exactly what to do. I'd just tell them you were taking over all food/D care and if they had an issue with it to call his endo. I'm sure they're not in the room all the time, so go get some sugar and give it to him. FYI, our dr at that time actually told us we were right to fire a horrible nurse that we had. I had never done that before, but it was empowering! So, maybe you can find someone that will be more helpful. You're right, without carbs/insulin you're going to be in much worse shape as far as blood sugar and ketones. I think we ended up putting Emily on a decreased basal and only corrected highs and ketones. We gave such small amounts of carbs at a time, we didn't give insulin for them. I think she was pretty much only on basal for about 2 weeks. When she started running low, they gave her dextrose, although we had to fight for a lower rate as the one they wanted her on quickly ran her up to 400+. Once we readjusted, we were able to maintain a good enough blood sugar to avoid lows while still treating ketones. Our hospital also only wanted blood sugars every 4 hrs, this when we're struggling to keep Emily above 50 with moderate ketones! We told them from the get-go we'd just write everything we fed her, blood sugars, ketones, how much she peed, insulin on the white board and they'd come in and copy it down in her chart. Made things much easier.

As far as carbs, we had some issues because Emily said anything with sugar stung her throat. She stopped eating popsicles and juice and wouldn't touch anything carbonated because the bubbles hurt. She also threw up ice cream and yogurt multiple times and stopped eating that, I think because of the association. She did eat sugar Jello and applesauce pretty well. We just kept at it a spoonful at a time. I think she also liked mashed potatoes later on. We bribed her often ;)

Good luck! I hope you get some more support where you're at. Hopefully your endo can back you up. Let us know how things go.

Kelly

Emily 8--dx @ 2 1/2, mult. food allergies
    Kaitlyn 4