- advertisement -

Surfing net for "red cheeks in son" and found forum have questions

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Kimmoski, May 2, 2011.

1. Kimmoski

Kimmoski New Member

Hi. i'm new. I do not, as far as I know, have a child with diabetes. however, i do have a nine year old boy that has been having flushed cheeks and various random symptoms of something and when googling these symptoms I found this forum. guess i was worried and surprised to see posts with very similar problems so I signed up in order to read and reply. luckily i've already got a doc appt for him today so i'll bring this up but I was just curious. he is nine, not overweight or underweight. occassionally has bright red cheeks for no reason. last night he did have an ever so slight fever of not more than 100.something and didn't feel very hot to the touch but his cheeks were flaming. when depressed, the red didn't disippate and come back...was just red still. he complained a little of sore throat but not a lot. really just seemed slow and tired. he was looking at a movie on my dh iphone and did say his eyes would be "blurry a minute" and then normal....not sure what the deal is. i will be seeing doc today so i guess i dont need to post but i got concerned suddenly. lol thats what the internet is good for, huh? thanks.

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Going to the doctor is all anyone here should recommend. These are the symptoms of Type 1 Diabetes.

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/clinic/signs.htm

I don't see flushed checks on this list. I hope your doctor will be able to determine what is up with your child.

3. selketine

selketine Approved members

Glad you got your dr. appt for today - always good to check out random symptoms just in case. Type 1 diabetes usually comes with a dramatic increase in drinking and peeing but sometimes this is hard to notice in older children who go to the bathroom on their own (and at school a lot of the day).

Let us know what you find out - I certainly hope you get some good news on an easily fixable issue.

4. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Certainly doesn't sound like diabetes, but good you're on top of it. Sounds more, frankly, like my kid with trouble with blood pressure regulation. It's a syndrome related to POTS, if you're googling anyway!
    Best to you today finding answers from your doctor.

5. selketine

selketine Approved members

6. courtneysmom608

courtneysmom608 Approved members

Doesnt sound like diabetes at all but my daughter had the same symptoms a few years back and it was slapped cheek disease or fifths disease. Good luck at the doctors office.

7. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

Thanks for stopping by to ask questions. While this is a Diabetes forum and your son does not have Diabetes, please take just a few more moments to search for and read about the symptoms of Type 1 Diabetes. Hopefully you will never need to refer to them but the more informed non diabetics are about the symptoms, the quicker they can receive the necessary care.

Unlike a common cold which will go away on its own, people who are displaying the symptoms of Type 1 will not get better until they get help.

8. zakksmom

zakksmom Approved members

Yes, this sounds right. My DS had this and has since grown out of it-

9. monkeyschool

monkeyschool Approved members

Could also be scarlet fever if accompanied by throat issues? DD got it with strep. Does he have a rash or any reddish tone anywhere else? There are also autoimmune conditions with flushed cheeks (I don't think they are accompanied by fever though, not sure). I would definitely go see doc.

10. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

That's the first thing I thought, too! pretty common...hope that is all it is!

11. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Welcome to CWD.