- advertisement -

Sure-T?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by emm142, Jun 14, 2009.

1. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I know some here use them, just wondering if anyone has any feedback on them. I have a few questions: are they more painful than regular cannulas? How often do you get set issues like clogging etc? Do they really have to be changed every 2 days?

Mostly I'm worried about them hurting; I can't imagine having the needle in me all the time. I don't have much body fat. The reason for the switch is because for a few weeks now about 1/2 to 2/3 of my sils have been kinking, and my BGs have been wonky. :( I don't really want to use them.

Also, are infections more likely with them, do they cause more bleeding, and can you wear them anywhere you would wear a normal set?

Sorry for all the questions.. I really don't want to use them to be honest. It's probably irrational though. :eek:

2. ScottB

ScottB Approved members

Justin switched from quick sets to sureT's because he kept getting more and more no delivery warnings with the quick sets. In his case the sureT's solved that problem and he doesn't have to do site changes any more or less often than he did with a quick set. According to Justin he claims the initial discomfort of a site change is just a tad bit more with the sureT's compared to the quick sets however he says the discomfort goes away and he forgets it's even there much sooner than compared to the quick sets.

3. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

We love them. We had problems on all the other sets (we tried everything until the Sure T came out). Westin has always used them in his upper buttocks. We actually go longer on Sure T's then 2-3 days. We usually go a good 4 days. We rarely have a problem. 99% of the time I change it because we run out of insulin. You can only get the short tubing. But you can remedy that by using silohette tubing.

4. Tori's Mom

Tori's Mom Approved members

We go 4 days also. Tori say they hurt less at insertion than the quicksets and she has no pain with them unless she accidentally lands hard on the site(trampoline) or bumps it hard while playing. Yes, you can put them everywhere you put a quick set.

5. MLH

MLH Approved members

love them!

We have been using them for about 3 yrs. Love them. You never have a problem with them. No kinking etc. :):):)

6. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

We have used them since our pump start. Never a kink or site issue. Abbey has veery little body fat (her BMI is 10) and we use belly or upper arm (her favorite). The only problem is the 23in length-sometimes she clips her pump to her bra. There is minimal pain with insertion and it only bothers her if she takes a direct hit or falls on it. The sil did not work for us, I am hoping MM comes out with a longer tubing-we were told that would happen last fall.

7. WestinsMom

OH, one more thing...they heal up so fast on Westin! He has been using his butt for 7 years and you can't see any marks!

8. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Thank you so much everyone, this is exactly what I needed to hear! (Especially about them healing up fast, that is HUGE for me because I seem to get scar tissue and lumps very easily.) I'm going to ask my CDE about them tomorrow and hopefully have some by next week.

ETA: The sure-T is called the "easy-set" here in the UK, and it is available in tubing of 60cm and 80cm, so there is a longer tubed version, but not as long as the 110cm available in silhouettes... Weird.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  9. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I have another few questions (they should be arriving tomorrow) and I thought I'd use this rather than starting a whole new thread:

How do you prime the tail? Do you just prime the whole thing before you insert it? (That might be a stupid question...)

Can the insulin in the tail spoil in the shower / bath if the water is too hot?

I know some of you do bottom sites with your kids - whereabouts do you put it? I've done them just below a low waistline before, but it's never worked well due to kinking, but I can imagine a needle might be uncomfortable there.

Finally, how exactly does the insertion work? Do you take off the back and then push in the needle, or do you push the needle in and then attempt to peel off the back? (When I do quick-sets I take the back off first, but with sils I peel it after insertion. This might be one of those questions which is obvious when I see the set, though.)

10. WestinsMom

You hook the tail part up to the regular line and prime it all at once. Then you are done priming. You peal the tape, pull of the needle guard and pop it in. That simple.

We use the upper buttocks, just the top of the check.

I hope that helps.

11. Ali

Ali Approved members

Just make sure you ordered the shortest needle set. They come in two lengths. The short set is 6mm. I am an adult very thin and use the 6mm sets and love them. Ali

12. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Yes, I definitely ordered the 6mm one. On this side of the pond they're available in 6mm, 8mm and 10mm, and if they accidentally sent me 10mm I'd be completely screwed, because I'm almost out of sils and I'm going on vacation next week! I don't even have enough body fat for 8mm needles for shots, so I can't imagine a 10mm infusion set.

Thank you so much for the help Michelle. I'm so nervous because if these don't work I have no idea how I'm going to keep pumping with 2/3 of my sils and about 3/4 of quicksets kinking on me. These better be good! :D

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  13. ScottB

ScottB Approved members

The only issue Justin had with the sureT's was that they're not available with the same length tubing as the quick sets. With the quick sets Justin was able to keep his MM722 in his left front pocket regardless of where the infusion site was located because it had plenty of tubing but the sureT's aren't available with the same length of tubing as the quick sets are. The solution was simple, if the sureT was on the right side of his body then simply put the pump in his right pocket and put the pump in his left pocket when a sureT was on the left side of his body. As simple as it was it was still VERY annoying from Justin's point of view because he had gotten so used to having his pump in his left front pocket all the time but when it quickly became evident that he was having much better luck with the sureT's compared to the quick sets, the initial inconvenience of switching pockets eventually became a normal routine and it doesn't bother him anymore.

14. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

Sam hates them---says he can feel the needle.
    We are in the minority in that we've only used them maybe 5 times and had the set fail 3 times--I think it moved and hit a vein. Just last week I used this in the middle of the night set change---worked fine for a day and then when I pulled it, insulin and blood dripped out.

15. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I screwed up the first one I inserted (forgot to prime) and when I took it out there was definitely more blood than usual. I did another one, though, and I can't feel it any more than I can usually feel quick sets or sils. :D The insertion was amazing as well, usually I have to psych myself up forever for sil insertions. I think this could work.

I did it in my thigh as well, which was the place I worried most about pain. (Trying to keep my arms bruise and reaction free for prom. :p)

16. lilituc

lilituc Approved members

I usually insert mine in the hip and back area since I don't have many areas to go with. I don't find them to be all that painful, and I am very sensitive to pain - I found injections pretty noticeable and pens unspeakable. One thing to avoid, though, is inserting where your waistband rubs. I've done that and occasionally it gets uncomfortable.

I find that I can tell if it's a bad site by how it feels when I insert it. If it hurts, I know it's a bad site, so I just pull it out and move it (this is hard to describe, but it's possible.) With good sites (for me) there is almost no pain and I can barely even feel it. I can't feel it when it's in, either, and I forget it's there most of the time. I find that the actual site needs to be taped down with something. I use Tegaderm. It also prevents the wings from getting caught on anything.

I find the tubing too short, too, so I get the Sils with longer tubing and switch out the tubing.

17. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

We have only used sure-T's on our daughter, and the tube is shorter from what I hear, and it does have a tendency to pop out since the needle is short, so something like an adhesive (skin tac comes to mind) would help. However, we love them. Never had an infection either, and as far as bleeding is concerned, not a big deal.

Good luck!!

18. Ali

Ali Approved members

I do not use skin tac with them except for swimming, but I will often put a piece of paper tape over, or flexfix if it is hot or heavy exercise. Ali

19. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

We use Skin Tac with the Rapid D (another steel set) for belly sites but use no extra adhesive for butt sites because Jacob has....well, he just has a very round smooth butt which provides a very smooth surface for the site to stick to.
    With a belly site there is more bending and creases which can tend to loosen the adhesive.

Oh, and Hi Marsha! Long time no see!:)

20. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

Thanks!! I missed a lot of action around here!! Nice to be back!:D