- advertisement -

Sure t set - help required

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sugarmummy, Jul 31, 2010.

1. sugarmummy

sugarmummy Approved members

Hi,

Following my last post about traumatic set changes using a quick set with my 3 year old, it was recommended I try sure t sets. I have now been given some samples from the medtronic rep. She usually has them fitted to her buttocks. We have no instructions with them. I have seen the demo, where they fit it to the stomach, on the medtronic website, but wanted to see if anyone had any tips prior to trying them. only have 2 so want to get it right first time. Thank you.

Sharon

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Really the only difference between them and other sets is that you completely prime them before you insert. So attach the two pieces together, attach the cap to the reservoir, and prime until you see insulin dripping from the end of the needle. Take off the tape (very important - I forgot once!) and just push the needle in like a thumbtack. Attach the safety site, and you're done!

We usually needed some tape on top to keep SureTs on, but some folks do not.

3. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

Just what Karla said! There is a small cap that has to be removed from the end before you can clip the pieces together and prime...just thought I'd mention that because at first I couldn't figure out how the darn thing went together.

4. melissajm

melissajm Approved members

You can take the Sure T off of the rest of the tubing after you prime...it will be easier to insert without all the extra tubing & pump in the way. Just reconnect after inserted! We put the safety site on first, then take off the tape & plastic cap from the needle & insert.

5. Ginagbaby1

Ginagbaby1 Approved members

Exactly like Karla said. Oh and with the sure T you don't fill the cannula cause the needle stays in. I made this mistake the first time we used them and right after I realized that it was just like giving him a bolus:eek::eek:. We only use them on David's bottom.

6. sugarmummy

where does the safety attachment go?

thanks again for everyones advice...so if you put the set on the bottom, which is where I am planning to put it...where do you put the safety attachment? - does that need to be on the bottom too, or can it be above waist band level....probably a stupid question, just can't picture it all right now!

7. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Depends where you can put it, without having the tubing being too stretched. I try to leave some space between the actual site and the safety site. It usually ends up somewhere on the side below waist level.

ETA - When I put it on, it makes a U shape. Sometimes I put Tegaderm on top of the infusion site if I think the U is kinda iffy and may come off.

8. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

9. PatriciaMidwest

We use the tush for the site, and then place the safety more towards her hip, somewhere where she can see it and clip into it without help (showers, swimming etc.).

10. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

Ditto for us.

11. simom

simom Approved members

We use tush only. We put the needle set on the upper half of the "moon" so to speak (so he is not sitting on the set) - and then we put the disconnect set just to the right or to the left, above the adhesive of the needle set - with the "piggy tail" making a u-shape to the right or left. This keeps both pieces below his pump pack belt and the waistband of his underwear which he finds most comfortable:cwds:. We put a piece of tape across the needle set so that it is secure - being careful not to tape the "piggy tail" tubing - I tried taping down the piggy tail once and that caused it to pull on the needle when he sat - very uncomfortable - so we avoid that now.

One nice thing about the Sure-T is that there's no weird noises when you insert, so when using the tush, with child facing forward, they don't know that you've inserted. He usually asks - "Is it in?" and is always so happy when I say "yep, already done!" Also - I actually like not having to pull the needle out. Best of all - we've had no kinks or clogs like we were having with Quick-Set - very big positive!

12. sugarmummy

Thanks again...am trying it tomorrow...so fingers crossed!!! last question...do you pinch up the skin to insert it, because with the quick set inserters we haven't been doing that?

13. sugarmummy

Do sure t sets need to be changed every 2 or 3 days?

14. PatriciaMidwest

We change it every 3 days, mostly...occasionally on day 4.

15. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

I use the Sure T's on Amanda...on the butt cheek try to go in the middle of it..not too high and not too low so that when your child sits they dont sit on it..etc.. and definately alternate sides..I have found that shopping carts or any type of bouncy activity makes the site come off more on the rear..it is however a good site..out of site out of mind..:)
    I like the Sure T's because they are quick..easy to do..good for little ones. Im working on trying to do a site on her belly..for some reason she wont let me..we are taking it slow...

16. sugarmummy

first attempt with sure t set...felt really prepared thanks to you all & had watched the demo on the medronic website so many times, I could visualise it in my sleep!!!

All went well setting it up until it came to inserting it..

put it in, didn't seem to lay particularly flat, so was worried from then off set, then it started filiing up with blood...so had to remove set & start all over again...

now feeling physically sick & anxious...tried the second one...it still appeared to look as if there was a spot of blood under the plaster..thought I might have to do it a third time using the quick set, as only had 2 samples...despite spot of blood seems to be working. Should I still be using it?

Is it common to hit a blood capilary or have I just been really unlucky? Is it worth me persevering, or should I just stick to the quick set? Not really sure if she understands enough at 3 & half to tell me which is better as she would rather have neither at the mo!

Would really appreciate some views on this as am a single mum & the only person able to fit the sets & am tearing my hair out about what is the right thing to do for Keira & feeling quite overwhelmed by it all at the moment.

17. simom

simom Approved members

Darn. Sorry to hear it did not go smoothly for you.
    As far as the set laying flat - it takes a little while for the "wings" that you hold to flatten back out - and the wing sticking up can make the set look like it is not flat. for this reason, I focus on the adhesive - if it is laying flat and is flush with the skin, that is usually good.

The wings are also one of the reasons we put the tape on - to assure they don't catch on underwear, etc.
    Blood in the tube - you were right to pull it - we've only had that happen a couple of times (usually a bumped set, rather than at insertion - but I am sure it can happen) and it has always affected numbers.

Blood on the skin - I would watch numbers, and if they are as expected I would not pull it.

Hang in there. Can you get any more samples?

18. sugarmummy

I'm lucky in the Uk, to be able to get all my supplies free from the NHS, so should be able to order a box, if the diabetic team agree (which I'm sure they will), just wasn't sure whether I should preservere or not. It's kind of knocked my confidence a bit.