- advertisement -

Sure signs I'm a newbie...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Debdebdebby13, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Debdebdebby13

Debdebdebby13 Approved members

That I post a question like, every day :p

What was your child's a1c at diagnosis?

Did they end up in the hospital at diagnosis?

I think we must have caught it pretty early, Molly's a1c was 9.4. She was not hospitalized, her blood sugar was 317 at her pediatrician's office that morning and she was spilling glucose in her urine, but no mention of ketones. We went to the pediatric endo that afternoon and got our basic education and off we went.

As time goes by and I process our experience I can't help but wonder if our experience was "normal" or if we got off pretty easy.

2. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

Initial A1C was 9.8 and he was in the hospital for 4 days with high ketones. I can't remember the exact BG #, but it was in the high 500's. Not that I wanted him to be in the hospital, but it took some time for the proper training, so in the long run I'm glad I was there getting training - I think I would have been on information overload if it was just one afternoon!

Good luck!

3. Debdebdebby13

It was a lot of info, I'll give you that!

We have been doing it in increments though. At the first visit, 2 hours, the doc went over the why and the how and taught us about insulin, counting carbs, and how to administer it. he sent us home with all of his phone numbers so we could always call if we had any questions.

Then a week later we went back and we learned about high blood sugarsymptoms and low blood sugar symptoms and how to treat each one.

Now we have another appointment on Jan. 11 to meet with the nutritionist. So it's been spread out.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Wait .... they had you wait a week, a week ON insulin to learn the signs and treatments for hypoglycemia? :confused:

May I ask where you are located?

5. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

Olivia's A1C was 15 something :eek: her BG was 506...we were taken by ambulance from her drs office and admitted into picu. She stayed 1 night there until ketones cleared then another day in the pediatrics ward. The entire time we were "trained" but it was overwhelming. :( Our last A1C was 8.3 or 8.6 I forget...that was in October. Our next endo appt is in Jan. I don't believe any diagnosis is "easy". Every family goes through the WTH just happened to my kid process...there are still days I am saying....is this for real??

6. selketine

selketine Approved members

I would say your diagnosis story is probably best case scenario and not entirely typical. Ours was similar - we also caught it early and William had no ketones and wasn't sick. He was hospitalized for 2 nights mostly just to teach us how to care for him - and he was 26 months old.

I also hope they told you how to treat lows before they let you walk out with insulin. We had glucagon instruction before he left the hospital and we went and picked it up on our way home. Never used it (knock wood) but I also don't go anywhere without it.

Of course NOT your fault if they waited a week - I'd just say bad on them though.

7. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I was thinking this as well. Hypos were taught thoroughly during my initial hospital stay.

8. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

My son was 10.something, I can't recall exactly but it was around 10.5. His fasting number that morning when I checked it (I had swiped a glucometer from work) was only 350 but at the hospital it was a lot higher, 500s. He was in full DKA and was in ICU for more than 24 hours and a regular room for another few nights. We had a long meeting with the CDE just before discharge home and our heads were crammed full of way too much information. It was overwhelming to say the least.

9. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

Charlie was diagnosed at the peds. He was ambulanced from the docs to the nearby hospital where he was stabilized and then ambulanced to the bigger hospital. I think is bg was 756 and they thought it was pointless to do an A1C so we don't know what is was at diagnosis. He spent 2 nights in PICU and 1 in a regular room. We had a bunch of training during that time. It's been almost 5 years so I don't remember when we got the rest of the training. We did have to go in a week or 2 after diagnosis to the diabetes center and get more training from a CDE and a nutritionist to make sure we knew how to count carbs and stuff.

10. emm142

emm142 Approved members

My HbA1C was over 14, my BG was above the range the meter would read, and ketone strips literally just turned black as soon as they touched my urine. I was hospitalised for a few days, on a drip for the first day.

11. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

My daughter was dx early on. I brought her to the peds because of excess thirst and urination. She was spilling sugar in her urine, blood work showed her bg at 321, No ketones, A1c was 6.5. We went the pedi endo a few hours later, they showed us how to do insulin injections, use a meter and treat lows. When we left we had a script for glucagon and were told that we MUST fill it before we did anything else. The next two weeks we were back at the pedi's office every other day for several hours learning about everything.

We were lucky that our pedi listened to use and tested her. A week or two later she probably would have been very sick. Because she didn't have ketones she wasn't admitted to the hospital, that made it very difficult to get information. It was difficult going to the dr's office, sitting there, day after day with a 2 year old. she was bored out of her mind, my other daughter was bored, and I was trying my hardest to take everything in. There are definitely benefits to both ways of being trained.. the hospital can be really tramatic, especially for little ones, but going back and forth on a daily basis is difficult as well. But that is no the 'norm' with insurance companies, no ketones, no hospital stay.

12. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Questions are good;) That is how we learn and even though others experiences are probably different we can always come away with a little more info that we can use with our own CWD.

Steven did not have to go to the hospital at diagnosis. My best friends daughter had been diagnosed about 2 years before so I was familiar with the signs and symptoms of diabetes and Steven's were pretty blantant by the time I knew I had to get him to the pedi.

His A1C was 7.9 at diagnosis and the morning that we went to the endo clinic for our training his blood sugar was 167. We spent about 6 hours there that day learning about type 1 diabetes and had to call in the first few mornings to get insulin doses.

I called alot more then the first few mornings;) I had LOTS of questions for my CDE and endo, thankfully the CDE was very patient with me:cwds:

13. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

Nothing wrong with questions!

Tyler's A1c was 17.4 (or 17.6 - can't remember exactly) at diagnosis and his bg was off their scale.
    We spent a week in the childrens hospital learning as much as we needed to know. We were only allowed to bring him home after both his dad and I had given him 2 injections each.
    Then we had follow up appts to go into more detail of things we needed to know. We had and still have 24 hour access to the Diabetes nurses and endo team. Haven't used that service for years but it's darn nice to know it's there :)

14. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

They didn't do an A1c at dx. His bgl was 41 (738) when I took him in, and it was about 6 hours before they put him on insulin, so I'm sure it was way higher by the time they started the insulin. He was in DKA and his ketones were so huge that they had to get him on a bicarb drip before they could do the insulin. He was taken by critical care ambulance (like Lifeline) from our local hospital ER to the Children's hospital to go into the PICU. He was in and out of consciousness. 1 day in the PICU and 4 days on the ward with lots of info and training before we could go home. We then came back once a week for 2 weeks for "diabetes day care" to work with the endo and the CDE.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  15. Debdebdebby13

I think our initial dosage was fairly low, and we were instructed to call before every administration for the first several days so the risk of hypo was low. He told us basic symptoms of hypo that first visit, but the second is when he really got into it, like 50-60 might look like this:, 40-50 might look like this: etc. What might cause hypo episodes other than just too much insulin.

We are in Oklahoma City, I think he's a pretty well known doctor around here, whenever we talk to people and mention Molly's diagnosis, they automatically ask if he is her doc (well, people that are in medicine, not your average Joe from the street, haha). There are a few others pediatric endo's, but he's the best I hear.

16. L101418

L101418 Approved members

Neither of my girls were hospitalized.

daughterP's A1C was 12, BG was 600ish, had large urine ketones and was in slight DKA (would have to check the lab work). Her pediatrician called with the results from previous days visit, I took her out of school and drove to the children's hospital clinic where we stayed 4 hours, were given good instruction and insulin (I gave the first shot) and were on our way home.

daughterR's A1C was 9-something, fasting BG was in the 200s that morning, has never had ketones and clinic experience was just like daughterP's.

We had daily contact with the endo for awhile and we all had an additional 3 training classes spread out over the next 2 months.

17. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

Nothing wrong with asking questions, it's how we all learn,and right now there is a lot for you to learn. Ask away!

My son's A1C at diagnosis was over 15. I took him to one ER (thinking it was a bad flu) where they said he was in DKA, and in critical condition, but they did not do pediatrics. We were transported by ambulance to PICU at the next closest hospital. Not sure how many days we were there, but it was a few in PICU and then one night in regular children's ward.

Sometimes I feel a little envious of those who happened to just catch it at a visit to the pediatrician. DKA is scary for the whole family and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

18. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

I had two a1cs drawn at dx, one at the dr's, one at the hospital. One came back 18.0, the other 17.9. I went to the hospital because my pediatrician said it was the easiest way to get in an endo's office and the quickest way to get on a more correct dose of insulin. I only had moderate ketones, though. I was at the hospital for 4 days, I believe, but only because the first "class" available was in Spanish, and I don't understand Spanish! :p

19. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

My son's A1C was 11.5. Bg was 700+ at the dr office. We were sent to a Children's hospital and we were there for a bit more than 48 hrs.

ETA, Josh was in the beginning stages of DKA. I did not know this until I read the reports the endo sent to our family doctor. No one told us and I didn't know what "DKA" was at the time...

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  20. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Ashleigh's A1C at dx was 15.2. She was not in DKA and did not have ketones at diagnosis. She did spend about 36 hours in the children's hospital where we got her diabetes training. Our family doctor diagnosed her, with a BS of 410.