- advertisement -

Support Group for South Suburbs of Chicago

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by jlrice, Apr 21, 2008.

1. jlrice

jlrice Approved members

Hello

My name is Janet and I am having trouble finding a support group for my area (south side of chicago near homer glen, mokena, orland park, lemont.) I have a son with type 1 dx 1-1-07 and would love to find some parents in my situation who live locally. I wouldn't mind starting one. I could really use a group of people to talk to that are having similar experiences since no one in our family "really gets" what we are going through.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  2. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

you've actually found the biggest support group there is :) we may not all be local but we all know what you're going through and you can sit and chat with everyone, whenever the need arises. :)

3. taximom

taximom Approved members

Hi Janet,

I am in the northern suburbs of Chicago, and I have not found much of any type of support group around here either. You can check with the JDRF Chicago chapter. I might be a little far from you, but maybe we could meet 1/2 way or something?
    How old is your son?

Denise

4. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

We should have a mom's night out or something. We're in the northern suburb of Libertyville.

5. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I am in the North burbs but I just wanted to let you know that there is a chat feature on this site where you can talk to other parents in real time. I know it is not the same as in "real life" but it can be helpful as well.

6. taximom

taximom Approved members

I think this is a great idea. I guess we could include some dads too (Chris) :rolleyes:.

7. jlrice

jlrice Approved members

Support group

I would be very interested in meeting you all. Not sure where half way is, but I would be willing to do a meetup. I have checked into local groups and peoria and Arlington Heights is about it. The AH group is more "hospital" atmosphere.

8. wkat

wkat Approved members

I'm on the north side of the city. Halfway might be Oakbrook or Elmhurst or somewhere around there? I'd be up for meeting.

Wendy
    T1 33 years
    Mom to a 4.75 y.o. with T1

9. jlrice

jlrice Approved members

Support Meeting

Oak Brook would be great for me. What is better evenings or weekends?

10. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Is anybody meeting? I live on the north side (West Rogers Park neighborhood). I'd like to meet families that I can get to by PACE/CTA. If I'm going as far as the south side, I could maybe make it an all day trip after school lets out.

11. taximom

taximom Approved members

Not that I know of. Maybe we should move this to the new "social groups" area under the "User CP". I'm still up for it.

12. Dana

Dana Approved members

I am northern IL. I would love for a get together. :)

13. taximom

taximom Approved members

Ok...I started a "Social Group" for the Chicago area.....look under your "User CP" and sign up.
    I guess we can work it out on there :confused:

14. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

I would, but that would mean I would have to leave Elizabeth alone with her dad.:eek:

"Oh her blood sugar is 65, that's good isn't it???" in his Homer Simpson voice.

I would do a mom's (and dad's if they want to join in) night out if I could bring my kids and meet your kids. Elizabeth is dying to meet other children with diabetes.

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  15. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

I'm all for a family night out -- maybe bowling or something? Any ideas?

I'm going to look for the Chicago group now.