- advertisement -

Supplements that pick you up?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Lee, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Don't want to look like a spammer, but I will mention the book "Potatoes Not Prozac" again. I found a copy at the library when I first looked, so free is something.
    Hope you feel better soon.

2. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

3. jules12

jules12 Approved members

If you are like me - I spend way too much time taking care of everyone around me and don't spend enough time to myself. Do you like to read? hobby? - can you carve out even 30 minutes to unwind? I like the exercise suggestions. I also have been trying this smoothie in the mornings....nothing special and very green but I think it gives me a boost...I am a terrible breakfast person

2 cup cold water
    2 tab flaxseed powder
    1-1/2 c frozen fruits
    2 handful of fresh spinach (leaves - this makes it green)
    1 frozen banana (cut up and put in a baggie in freezer night before)
    blend it all up together - tastes very fruity - don't taste the spinach but do have to not focus on the green!:rolleyes:

Forgot to add it takes a fairly large blender

Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  4. Big Hair Momma

Big Hair Momma Approved members

I take GABA (750 mg) as a mood leveler and L-Tyrosine (500mg). They are both amino acid supplements. I use the GABA to keep me from screaming at my kids all day long, and the Tyrosine to "pick-me-up". I've learned not to take the Tyrosine after about Noon and for sure, not after 3 or I look like this :eek: all night long. I have also found I don't need to take it everyday. I can feel when the effects begin to wear off and I take more. For the GABA, it's about every day and a half, for the "Tryrosine, it's about every 2-3 days. I purcahse them from my chiropracter for about $32 for the pair.

Good Luck!

5. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I take Super B vitamins and my Costco Omega 3 and Fish oil...

6. BozziesMom

BozziesMom Approved members

My daughter - 18 - swears by St. Johns Wort. She didn't want Rx drugs, but needed some help. :) Says it works great.

And this might sound wacky, though there is some evidence out there to back it up. When I lived on the East Coast I had the worst case of Seasonal Affective Depression Disorder (feeling it a bit now actually, but anyway, more sunshine here) so what I did was go to a tanning bed 3 times per week during the dismal months from October to March. It was an accidental discovery on my part, but it really helped my depression for some reason. Haven't been since we moved to SoCal. :) I do need to get back down near the beach though because we're having seasons up here in the desert and they are NOT agreeing with me.

7. Mom2Deacon

Mom2Deacon Approved members

How often do you need to take the GABA and the L-Tyrosine? Also, do they help you stay focused?

--Sara

8. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I bought a special lamp for the winter months over here. It works.

9. Mom2Deacon

Mom2Deacon Approved members

My father uses one as well. I can't go near it though. It hypes me up.

--Sara