- advertisement -

Supplements that pick you up?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Lee, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Lee

Lee Approved members

Ok - I have been trying to decide to post this for about a week now and finally caved.

I am blue, down, depressed, in a funk, and it isn't getting any better - heck, I even gave up beer becuase it was making it worse :eek:.

So - usually when I start to feel this depressed, I go to the doc and get some happy pills. It's been a couple of years, but I really feel the need for the last few months. But - the problem is - right now, it is impossible to afford - I just do not have the $ to cover my deductible at this time to visit the doc and add on a RX. I am trying to stick it out to January before going to the doc. But I do need something now -

So, finally, here is the question - do you fine folks know of any otc supplements that help lift the mood - I just need a little lift...

2. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members

St. Johns Wort, it is herbal and supposed to help lift your mood.

3. CJ's Mom

CJ's Mom Approved members

4. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

There is an awesome book my mom just got, recommended by someone at my D center.

It is called The Mood Cure, by Julia Ross

It is full of nutritional supplement ideas, and offers 'good-mood' food ideas as well. Very interesting read too.

5. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

It doesn't come in a bottle, but walking or other forms of aerobic exercise also raise endorphins. Even though with the depression one generally has a dearth of energy to exercise, once you get going - you may feel uplifted. Even a 20 minute walk around the neighborhood can elevate mood. Dancing, walking in place or doing jumping jacks etc. in front of the tv or to the radio or favorite music.

6. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Sorry you're in a funk, etc... :cwds: Are you taking Omega 3s?

7. Lee

Lee Approved members

Nope - I am currently not taking anything. I do FORCE myself to go for a bike ride everyday, and it does help. Just having some tough times, and my dad is getting ready to have surgery next week to remove his esophagus and chunk of stomach, so we will find out soon what his 5 year prognosis is. IT is all just very overwhelming right now...and I am trying to nip it in the bud so when I am out in Kansas I can be all perky and helpful.

8. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

big hugs Becky.
    I totally agree with #1 no alcohol because it will depress you. and #2 exercise, though it's hard to do when you feel depressed already. I can't believe the boost I get from walking - and I just started - and since I threw my neck out I haven't been able to walk for 5 days now and I still WANT to walk. It's like a drug.

9. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

I take a teen vitamin that has St Johns Wort in it. Its called Teen Active. I take one whole one everyday. After about 3 days I noticed a difference, and after taking one daily for at least a month, I have noticed a NICE change. Alcohol is a downer so yeh, dont do that right now. You can also try a little arts or crafty thing.

10. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Lots on your plate regarding your dad. I hope things go as smoothly as possible for him.

11. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

I totally agree about the exercise. Just turning up the music load and dancing by myself or with my kids makes a huge difference in my daily outlook. If you had an rx before do you need to go see the dr again? Can you have an rx called in or is it the pharmacy expense? I am so sorry you are feeling this way. It is an awful feeling.

12. TEXSONMOM

TEXSONMOM Approved members

I have been taking Estroven Maximum Strength
    It has alot of natural ingredients that help many issues.

http://estroven.com/

13. KelliTwins

KelliTwins Approved members

SAM-e is also a mood lifter, as is vitamin B-12.

14. T1Spouse&Proud

T1Spouse&Proud Approved members

I don't know about supplements, but my wife has always felt better with sunshine, and fresh air. Sounds silly but the vitamin D and fresh air seems to work well. Through in some moderate exercise and it does great. Are you near any beaches in Maine?

15. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

St. John's wort can mess up birth control pills if you're taking those ;) But I've heard great things about that and sam-e. Hope things get better!

16. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

I'm sorry to hear you are having a hard time. Since you have taken a prescription before, can you call your dr and explain the situation and see if they can give you samples?

I second the bc interaction. Whatever you take, make sure it doesn't interfere with other meds.

17. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

every time I read the title of this thread I read it as "supplements that you pick up" and even though I've read this thread now about 6 times, I still look at it and think "pick up where?"

18. KelliTwins

KelliTwins Approved members

That's so funny! I do the same thing! I thought it was just me going crazy. :eek:

19. Karenwith4

Karenwith4 Approved members

If you have access to a good health food store you can ask them for a supplement that will help promote serotonin production. You may see them called 5 HTP Supplements. If they don't contain B6 you might want to supplement with B6 or a full spectrum B supplement which can help with mood fluctuations. These shouldn't be expensive - maybe $20ish for a good brand.

Serotonin is a hormone produced in your body and it is helped by carbohydrates - so eating a balanced diet is important. Don't go protein heavy. Many of the anti-depression drugs work on the same premises as a serotonin promoter type of supplement.

I agree with exercise particularly outside. Try also to get as much sunlight as you can, without sunscreen now that it is fall. Lower light levels during fall and winter are often implicated in depression.

I use motherwort which can help with the day to day crazies if you are just feeling a bit overwhelmed.

I hope you feel better soon!
    Karen

20. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

yup, and if the three other people in the world that use natural family planning are on this board, it messes that up, too! As does evening primrose oil. . . .