- advertisement -

Superbolus

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by HanksMom, Dec 11, 2011.

1. HanksMom

HanksMom Approved members

Can someone explain how to do a superbolus and when it would be useful - i.e. what kinds of food, bg scenario best served by it.

Thanks!!

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I've recently had success using superboluses for cereal (a food which would normally digest very fast, causing a fast and high spike before a return to normal). If I bolused enough up front to prevent the spike, I'd end up low at 2.5 hours a lot of the time, but using a temp basal prevents that.

I'll give you an example to show what I'd do:
    BG 100, so no correction needed. I plan to eat 40g cereal. My I:C is 1:10 and my basal at that time is 0.9u/h.

Normally I'd just give 4U for 40g carbs, but when I superbolus I add on 1.8U (2 hours of basal) and give 5.8U for the cereal. I then suspend the basal. This means that I'm getting the same amount of insulin over the 2 hour period, but I'm getting it all up front so it matches the fast digestion of the cereal nicely.

I never had luck with superbolusing before I was on Apidra. It always made things very messy, and I've heard of other people not having success with it, so don't be too surprised if it doesn't work out for you. But I would advocate trying it, because now I've got it working it is a really useful tool.

3. HanksMom

HanksMom Approved members

Thanks Emma! This is helpful! I asked because we are trying to conquer breakfast. Hank loves oatmeal, yogurt, and half a banana for breakfast, but we are seeing really high (like 400) spikes an hour after eating, and then falling back to around 200, even when starting the meal in range. Trying to isolate what the problem is, and how to fix it. We don't seem to have this problem to the same magnitude with other foods, so I don't think it is a basal issue.

Open to any suggestions...

4. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'd definitely give prebolusing a go. I hope it works out for you!