- advertisement -

Summer Stupidity in NJ

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by KelliTwins, May 31, 2010.

1. KelliTwins

KelliTwins Approved members

I haven't posted on here in a while, given that life this year was far more hectic than I had anticipated. The twins started full day kindergarten, which was way more demanding than I had remembered it. Add in sports, ballet, birthday parties, play dates, and other activities, and I don't think I had a spare moment!
    I was hoping that some voices of reason, particularly those of you from NJ, could help point me in the right direction in this situation.
    My "summer stupidity" was that, instead of working at my school's Extended School Year program (I've been a teacher for 9 years), I decided that I could make much more money if I stayed home with my kids and babysat. Great idea in theory, but now it's three weeks until school ends, and I only have 1 child to babysit!!! I just moved into a new house last August, and my mortgage payment is a lot larger than it used to be. Not working is just not an option. I begged my boss to let me work this summer, but he had already filled the positions. I have ads on Care.com, Craig's List, and in the local newspapers. I've hung fliers in every 7-Eleven and convenience store in the area. I had the kindergarten teachers send home fliers with every student. I've even emailed a flier to Greg's endo and asked that she give it to any interested patient. I'm running out of ideas here, and am getting desperate! Is there anything I'm not thinking of???:confused:

2. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

Have you contacted a day camp in your area-either to work at or offer child care afterwards? Maybe the ADA has an opening at a camp where you could work and have your children with you. Could you give your name to the school nurses in your area to pass along.

3. KelliTwins

KelliTwins Approved members

That's a great idea! Thank you!

4. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

This is a tough time to be trying to start up a child care (or babysitting if you want to call it that for yourself). I've been doing child care for 18 years now and I am just not getting the number of calls that I usually get. There are so many people advertising on craigslist and many are charging rock bottom prices...and taking on more kids than is legal. Also, many parents are unemployed or underemployed so there isn't as big a need for care. And I don't know about your area but in our area, the schools are offering basically free child care this summer! (TG I don't do school agers or I'd be upset by that.)

I don't have any tried and true ways to get kids, except word of mouth....tell everyone you know that you are looking for kids and ask them to tell their friends.

I tried taking flyers to an open house at a house for sale in my neighborhood....great idea....if anyone had shown up for the open house! Next weekend, we will put flyers on cars at a preschool soccer league nearby. You may want to put flyers on cars at a school event. I had a sign made last Fall and got two calls from it...then someone stole the sign. You could put up simple, laminated signs on street signs that say "Summer Child Care" and your phone number.

Also, you need to be ready for when you do get calls. What will you be doing with the kids? What can you offer that the big centers with summer camp programs can't offer?

Good luck with it. Even with one child in care, you can be making some money and still spend time with your kids!