- advertisement -

Summer Pump Break...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mommylovestosing, May 10, 2011.

1. mommylovestosing

mommylovestosing Approved members

I'm thinking about mentioning a pump break to Ella for the summer. It seems we have site issues from our pool, going to the beach, etc...

Anyone ever done it for a whole summer? How has it gone? If you have a CGM, did you still keep that going? Don't know how I would go without that (!), but I'm sure she would love to be free from all of it...

Just thinking aloud. Feel free to add thoughts/experiences!
    Jenn

2. piratelight

piratelight Approved members

We have done almost a month with Hunter a few times. The last time we went untethered. He used the pump to bolus for meals and took Lantus for the basal. He enjoyed having the break from wearing the pump 24/7.

3. taximom

taximom Approved members

We have not done a pump break, but I have been thinking about it also. We go on vacation to visit family for 2 weeks in July. There is a lot of swimming involved as well, so I just thought it might be easier.
    I am also curious to see what others have done.

4. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Daniel has only been pumping for a year and a half--but I have not considered taking a break. I find it to be freeing for him and for me--and I especially enjoyed his pump during the summer because I could reduce basals after swimming and disconnect him altogether when he is exercising or swimming a lot. I just feel more in control with the pump. That said, when he is older, it will be his call. I would be totally lost with MDI, though. We only did it for a year, and I was very basic at it. There is a lot I've read here about MDI that I did not know while I was doing it. I'd have a lot to learn--and I think his numbers would definitely suffer for a while.

5. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

By site issues to do you mean they don't last as long as they do without the beach and swimming?

Before I make any decisions about my childs diabetes regimen I think about how it will affect him and his independence - because this is a huge thing for him.

So can your daughter do her own shots, and figure out her own doses or does she rely on you or her pump completely. Will the pump break mean she won't be able to spend the day with friends or do sleepovers or other activities that she normally does.

My son did take a pump break two summers ago, it was alot of work for him doing those extra steps of carrying his insulin pen, calculating his doses etc., it was doable - but made him realize just how much work the pump does for him. This past summer he choose to go unthethered so he had the option to remove his pump when he wanted but all he had to do was hook up to bolus for snacks and meals and the pump did the "thinking" for him

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We go untethered for the summer, so we still have a site. Generally swap it out every 2 days, or use IV3000 to keep it more secure.

We do Levimere for long acting, hook up for bolus. I will run everything through the pump so that I know what we have working for IOB. So, for the most part, she has a break from wearing the pump, but not pumping itself. Because we live at the beach in the summer, we find that the untethered works better for us. We aren't playing chase the bg's all night making up for what was lost during the day.

We don't CGM, so I can't fill you in on that.

7. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

Katie Jane went completely off the pump and back on MDI the first day of camp. She had asked her endo about going off the pump before camp and his response was why do that? Why worry about doing that yourself before camp. Just tell them you want to go MDI the first day of camp and let them worry about doing it for you. You just need to enjoy being a kid.

She wanted to take a pump break all summer - mainly to give her stomach a rest from the pump sites. (We live at the lake and she's in a bikini pretty much every day). It worked out well except that we kept forgetting the dang Lantus. We just weren't used to that long-lasting insulin anymore.

I asked her the other day if she wanted to go MDI for summer, again, this year and she wasn't really interested in it. Not because it was a bad experience - it was fine. Just feels like it's easier to make all those little adjustments with the pump. Less stuff to carry around, more convenient.

8. Lee

Lee Approved members

I think untethered is the way to go...we are thinking of doing this on vacation this summer, just to make things easier with being at the ocean. She would only need one shot a day, versus multiples on MDI - and on vacation, where fried dough and hot dogs are around every corner, the shots could really add up.

9. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

We do untethered all the time, and do lots of swimming here. Works great for us even though we do have to change out the site a bit more frequently (2 days maybe). If you do do it, consider lowering your Lantus or basal slightly until you figure out how swimming is going to affect bgs. Good luck!

10. stevecu

stevecu Approved members

Do you do anything speacial on the days you switch to/from the Levimere basal, or just cut the pump basal at the time of the Levimere injection? Also, sorry if you answered this in another thread, but what percent of basal do you replace with Levimere?

I was thinking we'd go untethered only on wet days, so I envision a lot of shifting back and forth between pumping Novolog to injecting Lantus and only doing somewhere between 50% to 80% so I'd still be able to reduce basal on the fly.