- advertisement -

Summer is 8 and just diagnosed with type 1

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Summers Mom, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Summers Mom

Summers Mom New Member

My Daughter just got diagnosed 2 weeks ago. I'm curious if anyone knows if there is anything we can do while her body is starting to go thru the honeymoon period to prolong it, hopefully for ever? Maybe no wheat, Gerson Therapy? I'm giving her Body Balance (9 sea veggies and aloe Vera) for her supplement. Any other suggestions? Thanks, Genny

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Hi, and welcome to CWD. Sorry you have had to join us.

At the moment, there is no way to stop the auto-immune assault on your DD's islet cells.

I had to google the "Gerson therapy" and to be honest it looks like a crock to me. As for wheat, if your child does not have celiac there is no reason to go wheat free. At her first post dx endo appointment they may do a full blood panel and celiac will be one of the tests they do.

As far as extending the "honeymoon" period. That's all well and good, though some will tell you that having a sporadic and unpredictable insulin production can make dosing synthetic insulin more complicated and increases the risk of lows, but I understand the impulse to preserve things as long as possible.

I suppose if I had a newly dx'd kid today, I would look into the Dexcom G4 continuous glucose monitor (CGM) because it would give you a 24/7 window into what your dd's bg is and permit you to dose aggressively while catching lows before they get too severe.

Generally speaking, I don't think it's wise to radically alter a newly dx'd kid's diet because suddenly having to have daily injections and finger sticks is traumatic enough. The cgm would allow you to see what foods in your dd's current diet are most problematic and help you either dose smarter, or decide to gradually cut back on that particular food.

Hope that helps.

3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Welcome,

You may be better off spending your time and efforts learning about the ways to manage your daughter's diabetes, rather than looking to fad diets or suppliments that will not work. You may also want to ask yourself why you want to prolong your daughter's HM period. I understand about denial but the sooner you gain some acceptance the better. The early days are very tough with a lot of emotions flying around. Staying grounded and realistic will help you (and your daughter) in the long run. Good luck.

Here are some books you may find useful:

Understanding Diabetes (aka The Pink Panther book)
    by Dr. Peter Chase of the Barbara Davis Center at the University of Colorado.
    http://www.childrensdiabetesfdn.org/publications.html

Think Like a Pancreas: A Practical Guide to Managing Diabetes with Insulin by Gary Scheiner, Barry Goldstein
    http://www.amazon.com/Think-Like-Pan.../dp/1569244367

Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace by Betty Page Brackenridge, MS, RD, CDE & Richard R. Rubin, PhD, CDE. Published by the American Diabetes Association, 2002. 250 pages. Softcover.
    http://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Kids-Bal.../dp/1580401244

Type 1 Diabetes: A Guide for Children, Adolescents and Young Adults -- and Their Caregivers by Ragnar Hanas, M.D. Published by Marlowe & Company, New York,
    http://www.amazon.com/Type-Diabetes-.../dp/1569243964

4. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

I took my daughter to a homeopath who put her on some remedies and suggested some supplements. She did have a very long honeymoon (3 years) and was on only 1 shot a day of insulin (NPH + Novolog for breakfast) until puberty hit. I was happy with how things went, so I did not go off the remedies to test whether they really made a difference. I think it is worth it to seek alternative therapies to help manage the D. There is no way I could have introduced the kind of dietary changes you are thinking about with my fussy eater, but if your child is on board, go for it. It was important to me to minimize the changes to DD's life and I could not deprive her of what her teammates and friends were eating.

5. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Welcome to the site and sorry for the dx. My focus from the beginning was attempting the best control possible. Though we didn't do a CGM (dd was old enough to have a say and said "NO"!), I would have loved to have one for so many reasons! Instead, we pushed to get on the pump asap! Once puberty hits (or pre-puberty at as early as 10??) you will most likely want adjustable basal rates and the pump can deliver where as Lantus/Levemir can't. We just passed our three year mark and, based on A1C, dd's endo thinks she's still producing a bit of insulin. Some of this is very individual...and from my research...some of it might be the age at which a CWD is dx'd.

At any rate, instead of focusing on prolonging honeymoon...I'd encourage you to focus on the best possible control (which I'm sure you're already doing!):cwds:

6. adjusting dad

adjusting dad Approved members

I totally get what you are thinking. I found myself feeling like if I could just stop the assault on the pancreas, or slow it down in some way, then I would be winning a little bit against this thing.

With time, I think you will accept that the ultimate outcome will be the same. Do what feels right.

I'm trying to let my son be the guide. If he hates something that is not absolutely necessary, I don't make him do it.

I do think there is room for alternative therapies

7. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

There are studies showing that tight BG control with use of a CGM and pump starting as soon as possible post-diagnosis helps to preserve beta cells. Since the beta cells produce more than just insulin and may protect against complications, it is worth trying to preserve them as much as possible IMO.