- advertisement -

Summer Camp, who's going?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Flutterby, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

This will be Kaylee's 3rd year. But we are trying out a new camp with an option sleepover night. The last two years she's gone to a little day camp put on by the hospital. This year, Clara Barton. Kaylee is VERY excited.

Who else is going, and are the kids excited?

2. Allyson94

Allyson94 Approved members

Not going there.. but going back to Boston this year again to be a Leader in Training at one of Bartons Camps in Boston :cwds:

3. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Not here. :(

The ADA here in MI has a day camp for those 5-8. Lia went the first two years and loved it. At eight we thought she could handle the overnight camp and she did too and was SO excited. Wrong. They called us after two nights saying we needed to come get her as she started crying the first night a little before bed and had been crying on and off since and it was staring to effect her cabin mates. Thankfully the MI camp is just outside the town where we live.

That was the summer before last and she won't even consider it again yet. And I'm ok with that for now as it was really hard for us to come up with that money at the time and a big loss. I'd like her to go again but not until she's sure. She could really use the experience as we have some issues that I think camp could help her with but she's too nervous.

I don't know what I was thinking when we sent her that first year. She had never had the opportunity before to spend the night at anyone's house except family (first because we didn't know anyone besides family until she started school and then because she was dx not long after starting school). She's a nervous clingy kid even without D. I'd like to change that but it's hard.

I really wish they had some sort of day camp or something for older kids who don't want to do overnights.

4. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

Sam is still eligible for the day camp as he will not be 9 until July. I have heard such good things about Midicha. Sam refuses to go to diabetes camp. His reasoning is that he has pleanty of friends already, why does he need more just becuase they have diaebtes!! We tried to send him one year and his pump rep called us (he volunteers there) and said that Sam was miserable and then he drove him home for us the next day. Sam goes to a day camp put on by his karate instructors and they are well trained in how to take care of him. This makes him happy. We ask all the time and he consistantly says that he has no interest in diabetes camp....Laurie, do you think that the camp might let Lia stay a day camper for a while?

5. Toni

Toni Banned

DN went to Clara Barton at 9. It was too soon for her or she just doesn't like that kind of camp. I hear most kids love D camp. She goes to a local acting camp here now; prefers that. Clara Barton took very good care of her D while she was there; you can certainly relax on that score.

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We're doing Barton Rainbow Club, a day camp in So. CT. Abby just isn't ready for overnight yet. This works out well as my parents live somewhat close, so Maddy will stay with them.

I know a girl from our school is going to Barton, but because of age, she probably wouldn't have much contact w/Kaylee. She's been going now since 1st grade.

7. piratelight

piratelight Approved members

Hunter will be going back to Camp Joslin this year. He went 2 years ago and didn't want to go last year but asked to go this year. So...he is all signed up and excited to be going.

8. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

Danielle is signed up to go for two weeks in August. She goes to Camp
    Conrad-Chinnock, near Big Bear, CA. This is her fourth year going to overnight camp I think. We go to family camp there as well. It is a great weekend for our family. We started going when Danielle was 3...she was the youngest camper with diabetes that year. There are families that we get to reconnect with at camp each summer & it is a lot of fun.

www.dys.org

kim

9. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

No, I called the ADA headquarters here in MI the following year and was told they couldn't do that. And now she'll be ten this summer so would be a couple of years older than the oldest in that group anyway.

I think part of it was just her being how she. The following winter was her first time sleeping over at a friends and I got called to get her in the middle of the night as she was upset and unable to sleep. Now since she's been to that friend's house several times including sleepovers and been fine. But no place else (nobody ever asks her). She also insists that there were "bad people", aka spies at camp that the counselors kept telling them to look out for. I keep telling her it must have been a a game they were playing but she says no.

Some day I hope, just not for now it seems.

10. Flutterby

I never realized that Clara Barton had day camps, I thought they were all overnight camps.. I like the fact that this one has one over night and thats it.. perfect for us.. Kaylee knows 1 little girl that is going to go.. hopefully they can bunk together during the sleepover night.

11. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Sleepover nights are a great intro. First year she had not interest, last year Maddy was with her (but not going this year) and so she did it. I wonder about this year...

I'd prefer to do either Oxford or Boston, but we have family visiting during these times so neither worked for us. Schleping to CT again!

12. Flutterby

at least you won't be traveling back and forth.. you go to ct and stay there.. I actually looked into the ct one briefly, thinking I'd just stay down there, until I realized there was on in North Oxford. :D I think I'm looking forward to camp just as much as she is.

13. dragonfly

dragonfly Approved members

Maddie is going to Camp Gilbert...providing the flood waters have receded by June! It's wet up there.

14. mamort

mamort Approved members

Matthew is doing two weeks this year at camp, Allison is still not old enough for sleep over camp, so daycamp it is again this year. Our Endo is at our camp for the entire month camp is offered every year. Love that.

15. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

DD is going to an ADA day camp in the Chicago suburbs (Camp Discovery in Glen Ellyn). She was actually telling my mom about it today, saying that all the kids there had diabetes and was excited that some would be her age. She hasn't met anyone her own age with D.

Earlier in the day, she was asking me about camp and I explained that some of the people who worked at the camp had D. Out of the blue, she asked me, what would happen if she felt shaky. I told her they'd know what to do. Then she asked me, joking, "what if all the kids felt shaky at the same time and they only had three juice boxes?" She was very amused and posited that then, they'd have to call all the moms who would come with glucose tabs, etc.

16. Brynn

Brynn Approved members

Oh man, all this talk about camp made me "camp sick" I'm normally a counselor at one of the d- day camps here but haven't worked at it in two years. I wasn't planning on doing it this year until I read this thread. So thanks to ya'll I've just emailed the coordinator and am hoping to get back on board with all the kiddos! (Plus, it's diabetes camp for me!!:D)

17. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

Travis is going for his first time. It's a sleepover camp. I'm nervous, but hopefully everything will be fine! He's going with a friend so hopefully that will help! He's going to camp Setabaid

18. twicker1

twicker1 Approved members

Hopefully Brandon will be going to the Texas Lion's Camp this year (2nd session). I say "hopefully" because I heard another Texas camp is closed, and our's might be flooded with "new" campers. New campers get the first slots. Already sent in his application, and now just waiting to hear from them. Hope it's good news!

19. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

Which camp is he doing?
    Lil is returning to HDYC through Setebaid @ Camp Victory again. She LOVED it last year!!!!

20. Deannas mom

Deannas mom Approved members

Deanna will be going to Camp Winona again this year during the first week of Aug. this will be her 3rd year going. it's through the Florida Diabetes Camp. Camp Winona is a 1 week sleep away camp thats in De Land Florida. this will be her last year being able to go to camp Winona, (only ages 9-14) then next year she will go to their sports camp for ages 13-18, same origination but different camp site it's in Tamps Florida. Deanna can't hardly Wait.. she started packing for this summers camp the day she got home from last summers camp..lol